Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone wear an activity tracker?

Anyone wear an activity tracker?

I think if I wore one of those bracelet-style trackers I would be more active (trying to impress a machine!), but when I look at FitBit or Jawbone they talk about syncing up to kinds of software/devices I know nothing about. All I have is a computer. My son said he tried the FitBit Force, but it was recalled. Does anyone have any experience to share with me?

My stepdaughter uses one of these. The hospital where she works started a fitness and rewards program using them. I will find out what she has.
    I quilt, therefore I am.

Power Poster
    Bonnie Hunter talked about hers on the last QuiltCam. The Quiktcams are archived onto youtube so maybe you can watch it?

I just use a cheap pedometer that I bought at WalMart to keep track of my steps.

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    I just use a cheap pedometer that I bought at WalMart to keep track of my steps.
    Part of what I'm looking for is measuring my sleep pattern.

Power Poster
    i am a ww member and i use theirs !!!
    QUILTNMO

I think the fitbit ones can be used with a computer.

Fitbit......love it! The one I have I clip on my bra strap....my son and DIL and one other friend also have them and we are all friends. It's fun to jeer and cheer each other on steps. Fit bit does have one that fits on your wrist also. Fitbit will track your sleep also.

mine is a fitbit....not a fitbit force. Paid around $100 for it. Have had it for 1.5+ and never had any trouble with it. If you have a pc you can sync and what not to the PC. My goal each day is to do 10,000 steps.

I had the fitbit force, and like it because it was right there on my wrist, where it could see every bite of food I put into my mouth, so I was forced to keep track of all of it. Then I developed an allergy to the strap. I've been looking for another one since. I could get it to sync with my phone, but never could get it to sync with my computer.

Blog Entries
    I've been using the fitbit for several years and love it! I currently have a fitbit one. It syncs to computer or phone/iPad. You don't have to sync it, but if you do, you have the benefit of feed back and encouragement from friends. You can also track your foods and exercise. I like that it also tracks your sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
    I had the fitbit force, and like it because it was right there on my wrist, where it could see every bite of food I put into my mouth, so I was forced to keep track of all of it. Then I developed an allergy to the strap. I've been looking for another one since. I could get it to sync with my phone, but never could get it to sync with my computer.
    The skin irritation is why the FitBit Force was recalled -- and refunds paid. Hope you got yours! I am told the Flex version does not have the same issues.

I have one of the original fitbit units that linked with a computer. It will tell me steps and flights of stairs, but also in fun terms, like " you've climbed the Statue of Liberty" or something like that. It's very intuitive and you can't really trick it by going up an escalator or elevator - it knows you're not walking! It keeps cumulative stats and you are rewarded with different " badges" for getting to certain heights or distances. You can also share and compare with others. It's fun thing to have if you like keeping track of statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    I have one of the original fitbit units that linked with a computer. It will tell me steps and flights of stairs, but also in fun terms, like " you've climbed the Statue of Liberty" or something like that. It's very intuitive and you can't really trick it by going up an escalator or elevator - it knows you're not walking! It keeps cumulative stats and you are rewarded with different " badges" for getting to certain heights or distances. You can also share and compare with others. It's fun thing to have if you like keeping track of statistics.
    Is it the model that has a wristband with lighted dots? The one with a readout on the band was the one recalled. I am happy to hear you are having good luck with it -- my son said his and DIL's both malfunctioned in a few months, so that is why I am now leery.

I have an app on my cell phone. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
    I have an app on my cell phone. Works fine.
    Believe it or not, I do not have a cell phone..

Blog Entries
    I used a fitbit a couple years ago. It was okay but I don't think it was very accurate at all. On windy days it would put me down for about 20 flights of stairs when I have no stairs at all, and one day when we went hiking it said I only went about 500 steps. So I quit using it. I was getting kind of obsessive about it anyway.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE my fitbit! I gave my DIL and my son both one for their birthdays. They LOVE them as well. My DIL is a physician and recommends them to some of her patients. We family all compete with each other with updates sent us by email as to who's the best each week. My general practitioner asked about mine and promptly bought one for herself and her husband. She bragged on it when I went for next appointment. Said she was back in her pre-maternity clothes in one week after she got it. Now she and hubby compete with each other to the benefit of both!

You don't have to be techy to use it either. You get a little short charging cord to power it up (on your computer) about every 10-14 days. There's a little wireless insert for the same slot you use for the charging so you can sync your fitbit with your online account. That way you have a record of your activity over time. That's about it.
    One of my best investments in myself and my fitness in ages. Way better than that treadmill I never used except to hang clothes on years ago!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

I use a pedometer that synces with virgins miles for work. A friend uses a fitbit that synces with her smart phone and it tracks her her sleep activity. The software app is loaded on her smart phone..

Those of you with smart phones, there's a free app I use for biking called "Map My Ride". They also have one that measures steps, for jogging or walking. "Map My Ride" tells me how many miles I've been, how fast I'm going, the calories burned, the time of day, and several other bits of information. You can choose what information you want to hear. It tracks my route via GPS, and you can share your routes with friends, if you like. It's pretty nifty! I'm pretty sure the walking/jogging version has the same features. I think it's called "Map My Run".

(I say "bike", but mine's actually a recumbent trike. DH built us a pair. We've had such fun with them. I've got over 1,100 miles on mine now.)

i have a fitbit one--i just hook it on my pocket, and go. i am not obsessive about it, but it keeps me aware of how much i'm moving--or not! nope, it's not as accurate as it could be on the stairs, but my arthritic knees don't let me move as quickly on them as they might have twenty years ago. (i think the stair factor is influenced by the speed and impact.) syncing it is not difficult, and i just leave a tab open on my computer, so i can access it easily. now that the last of the snow is gone, i'm going to challenge it to keep track of my walking. later, we'll discuss those darned steps!
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

I just purchased a LifeTrak. It does sync to a computer, but it also displays everything on your wrist as well. I have only had it 3 days, but I think this one is going to be a keeper. Read up on them on Amazon.com. Have fun choosing!
    Lori
    East Richmond Heights, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    Is it the model that has a wristband with lighted dots? The one with a readout on the band was the one recalled. I am happy to hear you are having good luck with it -- my son said his and DIL's both malfunctioned in a few months, so that is why I am now leery.
    No, it is a black with a small dark pink stripe that clips onto my clothes. It's held up pretty well.

I have a Fitbit Flex bracelet (not the Force) - wore it for awhile and now it sits in desk drawer. It did track my sleep but was not what I wanted on my wrist all the time, felt uncomfortable and was not attractive looking with other jewelery. The ads say it downloads automatically when you are by computer but you have to activiate the download. I went back to wearing my old fashioned pedometer. I might have liked it better if I had bought the Fitbit One at least I would have had the option of wearing hidden instead of on my wrist.

I have worn Jawbone's UP band for over 1yr. It tracks activity sleep and calories burned. You can sync with a phone iPad or computer. My husband and adult children wear one too and we all compete as a team. So fun!