Arthritic hands

Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM

I've heard that about the cinnamon, it is supposed to be good. And I was told by the Dr that tomato products have a lot of acid and it will make your joints ache.
Oh and I was told recently by my mother that Tylenol and Naproxin aren't good for the liver. Sorry if I steared anyone wrong. I live and learn as well!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 AM

I've read also that ginger is good for the inflammation that causes arthritis (among other things). The ancient Romans used it, and Europeans are still using it. Only we seem to have forgotten. Martha Stewart one time recommended taking a 2" piece of ginger, peeling it, slicing it into a small pot of water and boiling it. Then add honey and lemon, if you like, and enjoy. It also calms the queasy stomach. At Hong Kong Market here, I get some soft ginger candies to eat after I've eaten out. They really work.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM

I don't know if it is arthritis or what but I have quite a bit of thumb pain. I have found some relief from doing these exercises:

http://abbottcenter.com/bostonpainth...reatment-tips/

I think it is interesting that proper hydration is an important factor here too.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
I don't know if it is arthritis or what but I have quite a bit of thumb pain. I have found some relief from doing these exercises:

I think it is interesting that proper hydration is an important factor here too.
It looks like this is more for stress or tendonitis type pain. Since arthritis has eaten away the last of the cartlilege in my thumb joints, these would be extremely painful for me to do. Unfortunately, my last resort for thumbs is surgery...which I did have done on my right hand last January. For the first time in 20+ years, I have no pain there.

If these excersises can help some, I would say...go for it!!! Look after your hands to keep them pain-free as long as you can.

Patti
Old 12-10-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"

I find this interesting. I had deQuervains tenosynovitis and they made a brace to immobilize my wrist. They left the thumb free so that I could change my baby's diapers. The dr told me that the problem lies in the tendon that runs from the thumb to the elbow. I also had a cortisone shot in my wrist which did help too but the injection site turned white and they said I could never have another cortisone shot. After like 8 weeks it was better. I have to be careful sewing by hand or using scissors because this will bring it right back.

My new problem is that my fingers are now becoming very deformed. That top knuckle is huge now and the fingertip bends down now. It is getting very hard and painful to do any sewing :(
Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned

I find warm wheatbags applied all round helps my PMR and arthritis.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 AM
mim

be careful with any aspirin or ibuprofin -- It thins blood and can affect the veins in your eyes. After cataract surgery I got a couple post op problems. I have a bit of arthritis also and was taking an ibuprofin. I ended up with a bloodied eye. A call to the eye doc set me straight.

My ortho doc suggested glucosamine and chondroitin might help and it did.

I now read all about side effects on line before I take any OTC stuff. I found out that Vitamin D can cause diahrrea -- so I had to stop the calcium with vit.D -- no more runs !!

I learn so much on this group!! -- Mim

Originally Posted by Momma_K
I didn't know Aleve could raise your BP! Then so can Naproxen Sodium, Motrin and so on...I'm glad you mentioned that. My BP is so high now I'm on 3 meds for it. I'd rather put up with the pain as to take that and the risk. Thank You MommaB...