Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Atlernative activity to camping needed >

Atlernative activity to camping needed

Atlernative activity to camping needed

Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM

Some campgrounds now offer a small rustic cabin or tepee. You may want to look into those.

We stayed in a tepee once when the boys were young and it was really fun.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM

FSBO.com has cabins in the woods and around lakes for rent in some areas. There are probably other websites you could check. You can usually find one that's reasonably priced for a weekend getaway.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 AM

True, the camper stays stocked with needed supplies. Letting out the sides were relativlely easy. Just got tired of sweeping it out, cleaning and cooking. It got to the point I felt like I wasn't on vacation. Also, we live in a rural area. We have deer walking through out yard, a fox stealing our shoes; ducks and geese abound. So often, when we went camping we would think, why are we here? We have this at home. We went on a three week treck last summer to Glacier, Yellowstone and other places, enjoyed it thoroughly. Just realized it was time to stop. My husband really doesn't like towing. The hybrid was the easiest to tow though.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 AM

The nearest Super 8 sounds good to me. Just relax, with no bugs, nice hot shower and a dry, warm bed.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Rent a cabin when you go! all the fun, none of the upkeep of the vehicle.
cabins in Custer State park SD sleep 4, $44 a night plus Nationl parks reservation fee; cabins in Estes Park Colorado $86 a night sleeps 8, have propane lights heat & 3 burner stove, oh yeah, and a porta potty.... I see in the eastern states you can stay at YMCA camps and such.
A cabin is the way to go if you don't want to tent.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM

We own a 29 ft 5th wheel, fully stocked. All I add to it is food, clothing and of course my quilting supplies. We are camp workers for 3 days a week and play on the other 4 days. We have met some lovely camp workers, are able to learn about each state that we visit during our 4 months stint and then return to Texas in mid Sept. This is our 3rd summer and love it. When Sept comes home becons us to return to home sweet home.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM

A woman after my own heart! Even better is my own bed, clean pajamas and a full refrigerator every night.froggyintexas
Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 PM

We got an older RV with lots of storage,sleeps 4 adults and 1-2 small kids, sink/refrig/microwave/shower/small bathroom/table/2 reading chairs. We just pull up pull out awning and are good to go. We love it!
Cabins are also a good option.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:18 PM

We have tent camped since the late 40's and have only missed a couple of years since then. My kids insisted on having squirrel for Christmas that their dad shot. when a friend asked about our Christmas dinner, I told her we had squirrel. It got really quiet for a minute and then she said "Oh, you're the people that camp in tents." I consider tents as the only authentic way to camp and since the crank is messed up on the popup, that is my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM

Sorry Not much help here. Hubby and I own a 38Ft ClassA and take all three dogs and two kids on our trips. Can't imagine life without it. Have see the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Assetique Island (know i have horrid spelling) and been south several times. Renting is an option or Class B is always an option. What ever you decide Good Luck