Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Atlernative activity to camping needed >

Atlernative activity to camping needed

Atlernative activity to camping needed

Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM

What kind of "work" would be involved in a Hybrid boxerlady?

If the trailer is stocked with food, bedding, and clothes, then you have to hook up - haul- back up - water/sewer stuff, put away - back up - hook up - haul and unload at will.

A hotel room isn't private and you don't know who was there before. . . and depends on availability.

What have I missed? Am I fooling myself in thinking that it is so much easier than a pop-up?

Thanks so much everyone for your input!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Vat

Never get the urge to CAMP ! ! We even had a place on a lake once and also was too much work, FOR ME ! ! ! I had all the cleaning, cooking, etc. , etc. to do. No, help. Then one year I told my husband he and the boys could go whenever they wanted but not to count me in. I could stay home where things were much easier. Those days was not a vacation for me.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 AM

Went camping last weekend in our motorhome, 1979 Georgie boy. Love it, but hate having to haul everything back in when we are home, and then going out and cleaning the mess the kids left. Just more area to vacuum and such. Love the camping though. Need a housekeeper who will come in after we are back and clean the camper LOL.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 AM

Our RV is fully stocked with dishes, pots, pans, etc, that stays in it. The only things I have to pack is our clothes and food. It makes it much easier. Many times if you buy used, the sellers will leave all the supplies in it. Our Rv is nicknamed the big suitcase, I love being able to take all my stuff with me.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Well, currently we have a 35 ft. Class A motorhome, a 18 ft. hybrid trailer and a huge tent. Use the Class A for long vacations where we are going to several places. Use the hybrid for shorter stays of under 2 weeks and setting up for longer periods of time. We use the tent when the notion takes us to get back to the good old days. I love all 3 ...well not the tent as much.... Absolutely hate hotels.I can't drink coffee in my jammies and watch the sunrise in the parking lot without getting stared at and you don't get to meet your neighbours and make friends. Eating in a restaurant gets old very fast and I like my pillow, blanket and my cooties. My DH is now in the process of building us a teardrop trailer. Packing for any of these camping senarios is a breeze. All are stocked at the beginning of the year and cleaned. When we get the notion to go all we have to do is throw some clothes in and we are gone. Unpacking is just as easy. Take all the clothes out and throw them in the wash. I even have clothes stocked in each one that if we decide to leave on the spur of the moment I have a change of underwear and 2 days worth of clothes available. I tell my friends that I buy disposable clothes. Clearance racks are great places for clothes as well as Goodwill. If they get too dirty... I just throw 'em out and get more 2 dollar clothes.
Organization is the key to good camping no matter what you use.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 AM

How about a Scamp? They are light , our friends had one and if you travel light I think they would be good. We talk about that once in awhile but our camping days are almost over But if we were to travel again that is what I think I would like.
just a suggestion, I would hate to give it up yet.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 AM

If you decided on another camper, stay away from the Jayco brand. We have had all kinds of trouble with ours, now the steel frame is cracked and will have to be welded before we can tow it again. This is the second time the frame has cracked. It is only about 7 yrs old with about 40,000 miles towed.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt1950
How about a cabin in a park? Several state parks in Ohio and Indiana have cabins to rent.
YEAH....this is what I love to do...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM

We have a 31 ft camper.. well stocked every year and ready to go.. the only thing we need to take is food and clothes. When we take a trip.. we never have to worry about these such items again.. BED BUGS (top of my list), did they actually clean my room, sheets, floors, tubs etc..when was the carpet last cleaned, what is actually on the carpet, no hauling suitcases in and out anymore..not having to eat at restaurants for every meal, don't have to worry about maids snooping in my stuff, if something is dirty..it is because I left it like that.. other campers...always watch other campers sites for trouble. We have never had a thing taken or damaged in 18 years of it yet. We leave our stuff out when we head into town for a day. The best part of it..I can sit at the campfire...watch the sunset/rise..in my jammies..and no one thinks different of it..because we all are. We have made some very special friends.. we now see yearly..because we all camp at the same campsite every year the same week. Friendships really grow with camping.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Tent: authentic camping, cheap, portable, primitive, eco-friendly AND you'll be glad to get back home. :lol:
Don't forget the air mattress and air pump they are comfy