Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2012 weight loss adventure with a prize

Blog Entries
    I am hoping to just maintain this month. With my son here from Japan and my Daughter in law coming this weekend there has been too much company and dinners out. I am hoping to get my DIL to teach me some Japanese cooking while she is here. She gets shy and nervous so not sure if she will or not. We have a local store , Jungle Jims that has an awesome selection of Japanese food. My oldest daughter and only grandson are getting ready to move out of town too. So things have been crazy here. They won't know for sure until Aug 15th and my son in law has to be there on the 16th for orientation and the job starts on the 23rd. I will miss them all so much.

Junior Member CountryHouseQuilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dropping fat quarter in the mail tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. Had a little health scare but I'm fine now. I have a blood disorder that causes me to develope blood clots. Haven't had one in 3 years (knock on wood). That one was my first and landed me in the hospital for 10 days. That's when they found out I had this blood disorder. Anyway, I know what to look for now and I had a pain in my lower left leg with redness and warmth and what I thought could be a lump. Ended up at the vascular doc and they checked me out. I'm fine. Apparently I hit it some how and it's just a bruise. That was GREAT news.

As for the weight loss, I'm battling it. I want to lose it so hubby will quit smoking. That's our deal now. If I lose 50lbs he'll quit smoking. It's hard, but I'm fighting it. My new thing is to get up on my days off, do my chores and head to the basement. It's the farthest room from food, and it's where I quilt. I'm actually getting some projects done. I take a huge bottle of water with me and since there's now bathroom down there I get to do stair climbing without a machine every time I have to go to the bathroom.

Anyway, I'm going back to the basement for a couple hours now. I work in the AM, and 4AM comes early. This is my weekend to work so I'll be there through Sunday. Then a couple days off, then back. Going to VA next weekend to visit a fellow quilter. Should be fun, I'm really looking forward to it......alright, gotta go!!!!
    The trouble with Trouble is.....It usually starts out like fun!!

www.countryhousequilting.blogspot.com

CHQ, what a scare to think you had a blood clot. My family has Factor 5 Leiden. My mom had a clot in her lung and my sister had hundreds of clots in her leg. So far I have not had any. I try to do what I can to avoid it. Is that the same disorder you have or is yours something else? Good luck with losing 50 lbs. You can do it!!

Blog Entries
    I don't have Factor 5. That's what they thought at first when I landed in the hospital. Ends up I have Factor 2, which isn't as bad, but I do have to be careful. No horomones ever (apparently the birth control the idiots a the gyn decided to put me on caused the first clot - even after I told them about my dad's history of clots, varicose viens and such). Also have to be careful when I travel. In the car, have to stop at least every 2 hours to get out and move around. Flying I have to give myself an injection before and after. Also have to have all sorts of precautions and stuff for any kind of surgery. Kind of a scary thing. Sometimes I forget I have it, and other times it jumps up in my face, like the other day with my leg. Was glad it turned out to be nothing, but better safe than sorry!!

Blog Entries
    Greeting Ladies! Back in ND and working on unpacking after almost 3 weeks of travel. We are new property owners. Will be moving to Michigan when DH retires. So we will slowly update and downsize here and move slowly there. Lots to be done there, but as DD says "we have a million dollar view".

WOW! the scale was not nice this morning. I weighed in AZ and was glad I was really holding my own, but the driving trip to and back from Michigan has been murder. Oh well, between cleaning, sewing and getting some exercise, I'll make it.

Haven't seen Mom yet. Did talk to her while we were gone. She has been angry with me, but will be worse when she finds out that the memory unit will now be her permanent home. Pray for the words to tell her.

Cindy, Congratulations!!! I'm in for the month - you have my fq.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Blog Entries
    di-- i know you can do it! this is an act of love. she will be cared for and safe, as she has been while you were travelling. is there anything she would like that would make her see it as more her home? like a favorite picture on the wall? or a chair? or quilt that she favors? some places encourage that, but of course, i don't know her health challenges.

we are back from dallas! sorry i didn't see anyone from the board. olivia kept me very busy, as did old friends and my kids! had such a good time and a cold front-- stayed under 100 a day or 2. dry heat is still hot, but much more manageable than humid anything!! olivia wore her grammi-made dress. and it really looked grammi-made, too. what has happened to my sewing skills?? jumping jehosaphats!! will just have to make her more little dresses and practice, practice. practice! i am joining a boomerang swap. have some connecting threads fabric ready to be washed and torn. have 2 quilts coming back from my friend vicky. she has a LA and offered to quilt them for me. can't wait to see them!! guess they will need to be bound before i can send them out as gifts. one goes to my son's sick friend, and the other goes to a nearly 6yr old little friend of mine.( they have both waited more than a year! oops!). and there is olivia's quilt i have yet to sandwich. our library does not have large tables, so need to find a quilter friendly church, or pay to try to LA it myself at our local LQS. that will be the most likely choice! we're going back to dfw in november and i would love to give it to her then! i will try to teach her to say " quilt."
    . oh, and " pierce ears, please." can't get them done until she asks, per her daddy.
    all this to say, with a huge birthday cake, a smaller resolve, and 5 out of 6 meals tex-mex or true suthern, i probably gained weight, and all that amounts to a chicken afraid to weigh!!
    blessings to those who need or want them, resolve to all like me who need it, and enough arm strength to us all to push away from the table!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    My DS is home from Japan and I am up 3 pounds for the month GRRRR! I am surprised it isn't more. He keeps ordering pizza, McDonalds getting milk shakes etc. I made him some cookies too. I have been getting very little exercise too. HIs wife was supposed to have arrived last night but the stupid military screwed up her flights so she is either leaving shortly or not coming at all. It is a long flight and she only has a week off from work. The military was paying for her flight since they are stationed overseas. SHe was going to fly military to Seattle then domestic airlines from there. The military is NEVER NEVER on time with their flights. First they were late, then they decided they had mechanical trouble then the next day the plane was fixed and one of the pilots didn't feel well. I bet if there was a General or some big shot on the flight they would be flying.
    I bought new capris for school this year since all of my old ones were too big. I sure hope they still fit. School starts on the 22nd:-(

Blog Entries
    due to a strong curiosity i discovered i only gained 3 lbs!! in a week! oh. my! now i will really have to buckle down! pat, i know how you feel. i think united airlines is run by the military. had a rotten time getting home, and if i hadn't had dh and his computer i would still be at dfw airport. so annoying! i walk with a cane now most of the time and some premier flyers let me into the tsa line in front of them. cut out a long line and longer wait. it was very nice of them. i have been wanting to do nothing but sleep, not even eat. my pets are all home and happy to be here, and so am i!

Blog Entries
    Taboo Tues.: This weeks taboo is cheese. Watch how much you eat. Limit yourself to a small amount. Good Luck cheese is my downfall along with many other things. LOL LOL
    Pam

Blog Entries
    today i had oral surgery so it will be liquids and soft food, like pudding, for the next 4 or 5 days. i'm making the bulk of the liquids water, but not worrying about other calories. dh didn't bring food until 9pm so was starved and in pain by the time he arrived. have found pictures of dgd in her grammi made b'day dress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, Olivia is getting so big! What a cutie. The dress is cute and looks fine to me.

Blog Entries
    thanks, pam! yes, she is quite leggy! just for the record, this was taken right after dinner. notice all the food is on her face, none on her dress. she is quite a neat little eater for a 1 yr old! her mom wanted pictures of smeared birthday cake but olivia very neatly got it to her mouth. she walks and talks just like a real child! well, a few words anyway. her grammi (me) gave her rootbeer by mistake. who knew she was good with a straw?? but she didn't like the bubbles and let it all drain out of her mouth. she is very animated and quicker than lightning , both physically and mentally! such a darling little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam 304 View Post
    Taboo Tues.: This weeks taboo is cheese. Watch how much you eat. Limit yourself to a small amount. Good Luck cheese is my downfall along with many other things. LOL LOL
    Pam
    cheese is my major downfall......it will be a challenge. I have already been limiting the amount I eat. I use to eat cheese in some way every day, now it is about 3 times aweek.

Good luck every one.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    I know I love cheese..... cream cheese, colby, velveta, colbyjack, you name it I like it... but I ate FF until I couldn't eat it anymore and I just went back to eating the reg.
    Pam S

I love cheese too. There is an awesome cheese house about 5 miles from my house. They make all different flavors. You wouldn't believe how good they are. Fresh squeaky cheese curds....mmmmm. I'll try to be good this week!

Blog Entries
    Is it just me, or does the Fat Free and Low Fat stuff taste terrible? I'd rather just limit my intake than east that stuff. I bought a bottle of Blue Cheese dressing...fat free....was watery. Won't buy that again.

Oh, and the cheese thing..........totally a downfall for me!! I LOVE CHEESE. But I'm trying to be good and limit it. If I went on a Liver diet I'd be really really skinny by now....I HATE LIVER!!! LOL.

Blog Entries
    Isn't it great that we are all different! My Mother doesn't like chocolate - I know some people just aren't normal. But DH and I consider liver a wonderful meal. Now cheese - I can take or leave. Trying to be very good after traveling, but I'm a stress eater so stopping at Arby's at 9:30 last night didn't help. Today is another day - thank you Lord.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Well, weight has been down this past week, but given that I had an upset stomach last Friday and kept losing everything I had - both ways, it is not surprising. Took a day or two and now, my stomach seems to be back in order, so to keep the volume down to a low roar and perhaps I can keep that number down, too. Won't be too hard to stop/avoid cheese. I'm a take it or leave it kinda person with that. Keep in better health everyone and stick around with us for awhile.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
    I love cheese too. There is an awesome cheese house about 5 miles from my house. They make all different flavors. You wouldn't believe how good they are. Fresh squeaky cheese curds....mmmmm. I'll try to be good this week!
    Glad I don't live near you!!!! Do they give samples?????? I guess this is in WI..... and not TX my sister lives about 50 miles from Houston in a little place called Shepherd and I think Conroeis the other way. Only been there once in Aug and that was the wrong time to go.. went to San Antino to the Alamo and Fiesta Park not a good place to go when it is a 106 degrees and you are from the hills of WV. She always comes in Aug. since it is so hot there.
    Pam S

Blog Entries
    I hate liver but might be a good taboo food. good for you...lol

Quote Originally Posted by CountryHouseQuilter View Post
    Is it just me, or does the Fat Free and Low Fat stuff taste terrible? I'd rather just limit my intake than east that stuff. I bought a bottle of Blue Cheese dressing...fat free....was watery. Won't buy that again.

Oh, and the cheese thing..........totally a downfall for me!! I LOVE CHEESE. But I'm trying to be good and limit it. If I went on a Liver diet I'd be really really skinny by now....I HATE LIVER!!! LOL.
    I totally agree. I can't eat the fat free or light versions of dressings or anything except my Fage o% Greek yogurt which I love. FF and light dressings are always so sweet to me and have a strange mouthfeel. I look for regular dressings with the fewest ingredients and additives and no sugar. Newman's Own olive oil and vinegar is great-basically oil, vinegar and seasonings. I also make my own dressing a lot. Balsamic vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard with seasonings. If I've been good and want a treat I will have litehouse blue cheese or Caesar. I am also a total cheese freak. If I add feta to my salad for lunch it seems to satisfy my cheese craving. Still in a holding pattern here can't seem to get myself unstuck.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Blog Entries
    i love one or 2 cheeses but they don't love me, and leave as soon as possible. i figure they don't hang around long enough to leave calories. . liver, never passes my lips! or nose! my dh loves it so i have told him he can have it anytime he is out without me! he has been very nice and brought me a strawberry shake monday, and one today. as soon as my mouth is up to it i will enjoy warm foods. so far only cold. tomorrow we go to the grange fair, a yearly trip. dh enjoys the food and i enjoy the handcrafts and animals. it is a signal to me that fall approaches! fall is by far my favorite season. well, one of the top 4 at any rate! i love texas, but i also love the change of seasons. when i lived in dallas i would go with friends to santa fe the 3rd week in august. it was culturally very rich-- every nite we went to the opera, and on the week end it was indian trade days. soooo much fun! at one time i knew where the only color changing trees were in dallas. since then they have planted more. hurray for diversity! lol

Went to see a friend this weekend in VA for a quilting weekend. Totally thought my diet plans would be ruined. Even had a beer, small piece of cake, and a piece of chocolate. But got on the scale this morning and it had moved in the downward motion again. I was soooooo relieved. Hoping to stay in that direction. It's very very tough!!!!
    Amy
    Country House Quilting

Good Morning ladies......from a rainy dallas with a cool front, today we are not suppose to get out of the 80's. I have been asked to make 3 t-shirt quilts, one of them i have had the t-shirts from before I had my lung surgery last year. Got with her this weekend and we discussed what she wanted. Early this morning I cut them apart now to go stablize them and get started on putting them together. Then a gentleman friend asked me to put all his racing t-shirt into 2 quilts, got his shirts and will start those as soon as the other one is done.

So will job hunt in the mornings and work on the quilts in the afternoon.

Eating has been good, staying away from the unhealthy stuff. I am down another 3 lbs this month.

Ladies .......what are you working on and how is your month coming along.

Remember we are in control of what we do and the choices we make.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Quote Originally Posted by CountryHouseQuilting View Post
    Went to see a friend this weekend in VA for a quilting weekend. Totally thought my diet plans would be ruined. Even had a beer, small piece of cake, and a piece of chocolate. But got on the scale this morning and it had moved in the downward motion again. I was soooooo relieved. Hoping to stay in that direction. It's very very tough!!!!
    Congrats on a winning weekend. I know sometimes we think we do worse than we do. Keep up all your good work.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast