Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
AWWWW...the farm life...or is it actually PPPP-UUUUU?? >

AWWWW...the farm life...or is it actually PPPP-UUUUU??

AWWWW...the farm life...or is it actually PPPP-UUUUU??

Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Wow Patti - what a drama! Glad everything worked out OK in the end and you remained your usual, sweet-smelling self!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Oh yes K...I still smell sweet...hate that going out in the rain though, you know I could melt..hee hee!

omak...when we first got the cows, an old guy told me, there are 2 ways to deal with them...you can either chase them...OR...they can chase you...pick your way of handling them. Well, we are too lazy to run, so we teach 'em to love their feed and they come running whenever we even whisper " Suuuuueeee Boss"! And sorry to tell your Mom, she was only partially right..the black ones get out at all times of the day or night, just like the others.
We have a tiny garden now..I have to keep a lid on DH's big gardening eyes. I do like to have time to quilt you know. We just eat our corn and give it to neighbors..I only have 4 rows this year. There is a thread of my garden on here somewhere..I do need to take an updated pic. I have ears on my corn now and it is tassling out..we'll be eating it in a couple of weeks! :lol:
Old 06-15-2009, 05:55 AM

Patti---I am so sorry about your misadventure through the storm, but it was a great story! I am glad the skunk did not get you---been there, done that with our pets--not a fun odor to get rid of.

Is your corn yellow or white? I am a sweet corn lover myself.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Oh Marcia....I was introduced to the BEST sweet corn I've ever eaten...its called Ambrosia and is only available at our local co-op...but it just melts in your mouth and is very tender and sooo sweet! Its a bi-color, germinates in 5 days..matures quickly and is sooo delicious! I gave some away to some friends and her DH ate it before she could even cook it! I planted early hoping that I can make 2 crops....I did last year.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:06 AM

lmao what a story and it reminded me of when I took my daughter camping and we saw a skunk didn't think anything of it went to bed and then I hear her going her skunk, here skunk. OH MY GOD she was skunk hunting thank goodness she didn't find it and I told her if she got sprayed she would have been in the trunk on our way home and when the nice police officer pulled me over and came upon her he would have waved me on. (I hoped) hahaha But I just loved to scare her at that age to do the right thing and it worked.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 AM

One of our neighbors sounds like your husband. He grows a TON of corn for people food. Then, at the end of the season, he calls me, I go clear his garden and take the stalks to feed to the cattle. They LOVE the stalks. Plus! I take the stalks and all, so I am getting some good soil to put on my pastures since the cattle won't eat the roots ... gleaning is a GOOD thing!
We know cows get out all of the time <g> Except mine ... well, mine USUALLY never get out ... LOL ... but, those black angus ... they are a different piece of work ... mine are all red, but the red semen, except for Herefords is getting harder and harder to find. Hardly any Red Angus in the books, even ... black cattle just have an attitude <g>
Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

I am sure you weren't laughing at the time, but I had to chuckle at the picture in my mind of little skunks running toward you!!!

Hope you have everything back in order and roof back on quickly!!

By the way... thank you for raising (?) the Angus!!!! Our favorite ones!!

Stay dry! :P
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Thought you might like to see what happened. Sorry I didn't have my camera when the skunk babies showed up, but here is the roof and the tree...

back of the barn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36800[/ATTACH]

Poor ole beautiful tree
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36853[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21187.jpe   attachment-36800.jpe   attachment-36853.jpe  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh Marcia....I was introduced to the BEST sweet corn I've ever eaten...its called Ambrosia and is only available at our local co-op...but it just melts in your mouth and is very tender and sooo sweet! Its a bi-color, germinates in 5 days..matures quickly and is sooo delicious! I gave some away to some friends and her DH ate it before she could even cook it! I planted early hoping that I can make 2 crops....I did last year.
Yes...it is Ambrosia... I can eat it as fast as I can shuck it!!! Some might actually make it into the pot of boiling water :wink:
Old 06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
One of our neighbors sounds like your husband. He grows a TON of corn for people food. Then, at the end of the season, he calls me, I go clear his garden and take the stalks to feed to the cattle. They LOVE the stalks. Plus! I take the stalks and all, so I am getting some good soil to put on my pastures since the cattle won't eat the roots ... gleaning is a GOOD thing!
We always tossed our stalks, grass clippings (no chemicals used) and other "greens" over the fence to the neighbors horses...they would see us working in the garden or hear the lawn mower and come running down the hill to whinny and beg!!! The neighbor really did not have enough acerage for so many horses, so we let her finish fencing our property and let them graze there, too. They really loved us when we would glean apples...had to make sure the kids understood not to over feed them :wink: :wink: