Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baby Bib Help

Blog Entries

Baby Bib Help

what's the best way to close the bib, snaps or Velcro.
    yrs ago I did Velcro for my son, but with all the new stuff out, what do most prefer.
    also, what design, pocket, no pocket ect.
    thanks in advance.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    i asked that very same question at guild this morning... the gals were about evenly divided... still haven't decided
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I saw that JA's has plastic snaps in baby colors, are they good or just a selling fad>
    Worrying if you pull to hard, the snap will come off. this new PUL fabric, is it good or use the terry back like I did 25 yrs ago????
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    The bibs I thought looked good were the little fingertip towels with a hole cut out and ribbing applied to the neck edge. The down side is that they hhave to be put over baby's head.

I vote velcto over snaps - because one does not need precise aim to get it closed.

I vote snaps. Velcro sticks to tings in the washer and dryer and get full of lint.

Blog Entries
    I have made a half dozen bibs recently using Slobber Monkey pattern and snaps!
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I made some bibs for a new mom and just used ties. She absolutely loved them. She didn't like putting the bibs over baby's head or the velcro, because baby's hair got caught in them and baby pulled them off. She said she wished all her bibs had the tie strings. i have always used flannel for bibs and burp cloths. Very absorbent.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    Lynnie I just made a baby bib with terry on the front and pul on the back, I like the pul fabric. It's colorful and very soft! I used the Velcro that was in the baby section of Joanns, but I didn't take into account the amount of the opening the Velcro took up! I vote Velcro over snaps, just have to remember to put them back together before washing!

My vote is for the Velcro. I would worry about the snap coming off, and the baby swallowing it.

Blog Entries
    Crqlte, when I made for Ryan 25 yrs ago, i'd put the Velcro back tog b4 washing too.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    I have made a half dozen bibs recently using Slobber Monkey pattern and snaps!
    LOVE the slobber monkey pattern!
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Velcro is easier to attach but a PITB, when it comes to being practical. One slip and it grabs and snags anything delicate or fuzzy. When being washed, it must be securely closed and washed in some sort of bag, or it's likely to come unfastened in the wash, ruining everything it touches.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My sister came to the house the other day and borrowed snap strips from DH deboned shirts. Sewed them to the back of the bib and made it adjustable.

PUL is easy to work with.

I use the snaps that are already attached to the twill tape, meant for baby pants. I cut the strips evenly between the snaps, and sew the strip on before I sew the back and front of the bib together. That was the raw edges are enclosed in the seams.

My girls prefer snaps over either velcro or ties.

I have made baby bibs from flannel ( layers) and also make adult bibs and I always use the velcro.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    Lynnie,

I LOVE the KAM (at JA they are known as Babyville Boutique).

I buy my snaps on Amazon at "I Like Big Buttons" store, or at
    http://ilikebigbuttons.com/

Same great snaps at a MUCH cheaper price.

Super easy to use also.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    I'm so confused. i'll use flannel with a cotton insert. but still up in the air over the closure.

We were blessed with twin grandbabies about 14 months ago, so I was making burp cloths and bibs like crazy. I went to Pinterest for a ton of ideas and free patterns. https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=baby%20bibs
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    thanks, i'll go to pintrest n a few minutes.

I'm making a load of bibs and burb cloths for new grand baby on the way, I use the KAM snaps, they are very strong, used on lots of duvet covers, I also bought the KAM clips for pacifier holders they can also be used on little dungarees or pinafores to fasten the straps to the bib front.

my grandson is 9 months and drools alot. They told me they like the snap better

Blog Entries
    how does everyone feel if I made bibs of terry and flannel?

Blog Entries
    I plan on making some out of flannel for my grandson.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    how does everyone feel if I made bibs of terry and flannel?
    That makes me happy!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    I think i'll make flannel and back them with terry and se about those new snaps
    other wise, I guess i'll try Velcro if I can't find good snaps

thank you everyone for your help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast