Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Baby kitty sucks on my neck! >

Baby kitty sucks on my neck!

Baby kitty sucks on my neck!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM

She is adorable and don't worry about the sucking! It might be because kitty was pulled from mother too soon
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Google Goddess

she is so cute
Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

We have a kitty, nine years old now, that we took on as a tiny, not-yet-weaned kitten. She came to suckle on our earlobes. Mine she ultimately decided she did not like... but she still sucks on DD's earlobes. 'Cause she is the kitty's Mommy it seems!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Both babies are adorable.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Oh what a sweetheart!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Heh, like the others have said, it's left-over nursing behavior...it *should* pass when she's older. Word of warning tho'? My sweet Tigger (RIP) would do the "paws kneading" nursing thing since he was a kitten, mostly on my head. This was ever-so-cute when he weighted mere ounces and maybe a pound or two, but became LESS cute when he got up to his full 15lbs! ;-) I didn't really mind - it was our little "bonding time". Just heavy when I'd wake in the middle of the night with a 15lb cat on my pillow/head! I hope you have MANY wonderful years together!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
I have a new baby kitty. Her name is Lily. I got her at only 6 weeks. That's a little young, but the people had 13 babies from 2 moms and just wanted them gone. She was the runt, much smaller than the others. She's alert, eats well, plays, affectionate, and just a sweetheart. I got her baby kitten milk to supplement her for growth. She totally trusts and loves me, follows me around. I think she thinks I"m literally her mom. She suckles on my neck. Sometimes she even makes little hickies! I have no question that she's healthy, growing and happy. But I've never seen the sucking like that before, and I'm a cat person!

She's adorable. Growing up I had a cat that used to suck on my hair or my nightgown. He never did grow out of it.
Once my daughter got a brother and sister kitties at 8 weeks, and the boy sucked on their earlobes for a few months, then grew out of it. People on catster.com say it's fairly common.

What do you other cat people say? Weird?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM

What a sweet little baby she is. I guess suckling is better than some other habits she might have!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
You could try bottle feeding her a little, maybe she needs the comfort from nursing. You can get the cat milk replacement at the store and the cutest little baby bottles.

My cat was a dumpster cat, his mom was killed by the trash truck and fortunately the trash guy realized there might be kittens so as they dump the trash they found them. They didn't have their eyes open yet. A friend worked at a vet clinic and did all the things a mommy cat needed to do-don't ask, I'll never let a mother cat lick me again. I got one when it was eating by itself but still liked to nurse a little. He liked the bottle for several weeks but eventually didn't want it anymore.
One reason I got the kitten milk replacer was for nurishment. Another reason was that for the first day or so, she didn't poop, and I was worried about having to do the "mommy cat" thing. Good thing the milk keeps her loose. She eats purina kitten food and canned food too. No problem now!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Ohhhh, she's cute now but when her adult coat comes in, she's going to be absolutely stunning.

And yeah, the suckling is pretty typical when they're weaned a bit early. My sister's cat did the same thing until he was about a year old. He did grow out of it. I think more do grow out of it than not.