A baby library...

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Since you are a sewer, you could make her cloth books. My girls loved the cloth books. They would carry them around, sleep with them, and of course always want the book the other one was reading. They are now 17 and 19 and still carry a book everywhere they go. Not the cloth ones of course. :)
Excellent idea!

Duck on a Bike by David Shannon, is a favorite of mine. My daughter loved, and had memorized most of, Mike Mulligan's Steam Shovel. Berenstein Bears were always a hit, too.

There are so many wonderful children's books out - have fun! Garage sales and thrift stores are good places to find books.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM

My book for my daughter was "Guess how much I love you." (which I now see many have mentioned.)
Makes me cry every time I read it!
Another one is "if you were my bunny." That one has songs in it you can sing (sung to familiar tunes)
Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM

One of my all time favorites is "The Velveteen Rabbit".
Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM

I just ordered today...Goodnight Moon and Guess How Much I Love You for my new granddaughter due to arrive mid. Sept.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM

This is a fantastic list!
You must understand, in"OUR" library, a child free house, we already have things like

Where the Wild things Are,
The Napping House,
If you Give a mouse a cookie,
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs,
Politically Correct Bedtime Stories,
The Little Fish that Got away,
The Magic Fish,
Dear Milli,
Goodnight Moon, etc....
(and lets not even get into Chaptered books!!!)

However, I am loving having all these title sitting here, it will help tighten up my thoughts, and of course I have the rest of her life to buy books, not just for the shower!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
Sweet Slumber, You mentioned Blueberries for Sal. I didn't think that was still around. I'm 68 and mo mother read it to me when I was a kid. She gave it to me when my kids were born. I'lll have to check if it's packed away with their old books.
Happily, it is still around. I'm looking at my son's "Blueberries for Sal" which was first published in 1948, but his all-time favorite "The Little House" by Virginia Lee Burton was copyrighted in 1942!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by susaninmd
An excellent source for children's book is from the PBS series "Reading Rainbow".

The show was hosted By LeVar Burton and ran for 26 years (ending in August 2009).

They have the best and most eclectic list of wholesome quality books. Most are award winning titles.

As a retired educator I can tell you that reading to a child, (even a high schooler!!!) is the most lasting and precious gift anyone can give. Nothing says "I love you" like sharing your time.

Reading to a child and reading in front of a child by parents teaches that reading is important. "So important that we devote special time for reading, and you should too!"

Reading to one's self is good way for a child to learn to entertain themself and is a refuge when they are troubled, sad or mad.

Having taught elementary, middle and high, at the end of the year the things they liked the most all year were:
1: Hearing true stories about what life was like when I was a kid (you know-the olden days before there were trees!!)

2: Being read to, especially dramatically read poems, stories and novels.

Here is the (very long) link right to the list:

http://www.google.com/search?q=readi...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=rbI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&q=reading+rainbow+books&revid=-1&sa=X&ei=pConTv_9EcrLgQeFichc&ved=0CJcBENUCKAE&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1a31cd8525d58c0a&biw=1140&bih=1189
Thanks for this!!

As I said previously, I am very excited about adding to her library and to the experience of reading!! My daughter, now 27, fondly recalls nights of me reading one chapter a night of books like The Secret Garden and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, long after she moved on from Dr. Seuss (not that you can really move on from Dr Seuss!!!)
Old 07-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
How about adding a cute bookcase with a painted quilt pattern on it?
One of the Grandpa's has the bookcase covered!!! I'm gonna start expanding the library in this house, after the shower we'll see how many duplicated books show up!!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

The "Anne of Green Gables" books!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Our kids books have been from book sales and rummage sales etc. Some are great and some not so great. You will be surprised which ones they like and not. Books she can learn to read herself are great. Books you read and reread are wonderful especialy if you use different voices for the characters and sound affects. I play games with the kids when we read. One is to read a store they know and change words here and there, they quickly correct me. I have found other kids don't catch the connection and never realize there is an error. It has helped develope their attention to detail- now that all read they point out to me words I skipped etc. All are reading way above their grade level. As the kids develop we continue to rotate through books- we have given away more books then most ever have in their lifetime- but our kids love to read. Which reminds me I have to take the kids to the library tomorrow I recieved the complaint they have read the last arm load we go only a few days ago and there's nothing to read- all acept what's on their shelves.