Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The back nine

The back nine

You know ... time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

But, here it is... "the back nine" of my life,and it catches me by surprise...How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go?

I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that I was only on the first hole and the back nine was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting gray...they move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd become.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know, that though I'm on the back nine, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that when it's over on this earth...it's over. A new adventure will begin! Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not on the back nine yet...let me remind you, thatit will be here faster than you think.So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether you're on the back nine or not!

You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!

"Life" is a gift to you.The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one. LIVE IT WELL! ENJOY TODAY! DO SOMETHING FUN! BE HAPPY ! *Remember LIVE HAPPY IN 2015!

LASTLY, CONSIDER THIS: Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect! Going out is good.. Coming home is better! You forget names.... But it's OK because some people forgot they even knew you!!! You realize you're never going to be really good at anything like golf. The things you used to care to do, you aren't as interested in anymore, but you really do care that you aren't as interested.

You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV 'ON' than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep". ~You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch.. You tend to use more 4 letter words ... "what?"..."when?"... ??? You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!
    What used to be freckles are now liver spots.
    Everybody whispers.

You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.

~~~But Old is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLD FRIENDS*!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-10-2015 at 03:48 AM. Reason: pm
    I quilt, therefore I am.

This is so true. Thanks for sending it. I think we all can identify.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Remember when we thought 30 was old?
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Thank you Ditter!
    Mary

Very true. The years just seem to fly by. That is why I have the saying I have. Also The young need to know this is not a dress rehearsal. You don't get to go back and do things the way you could have / would have / should have.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Wonderfully said and so true. Thanks
    ranbro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Very true. The years just seem to fly by. That is why I have the saying I have. Also The young need to know this is not a dress rehearsal. You don't get to go back and do things the way you could have / would have / should have.
    I spent most of my growing up years with my Gramma and her sister,and they said the same thing-youth is not a dress rehearsal for whats ahead in life. I was very blessed to have 3 wise women in my life. I was taught by their examples. What ever path's I choose to follow in this journey of mine only litter my passing with love - joy and kind words and deeds. Not with regrets of things said in anger or what if's. So far I feel I've lived up to these teachings and althou Gramma - Aunt Lou and my Mom have passed on I do know they were and are proud of the path's of litter I've left behind on my journey.

Yes, time did seem to speed like fast forward on a VCR. Remember when THAT was such a revolutionary invention??
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Oh Ditter, you're so right, the years go by fast. Barb
    be happy

Well I read that with tears welling in my eyes...wishing I could have shared with DH.......at the clubhouse in the sky now......and now I am depressed!

That is beautiful. Wistful but beautiful. May I share it on my Facebook page?

Thank you Ditter, great words of wisdom. I hear of people making a "Bucket List", I've made mine, very short list,
    Get up every morning, thank God I'm still alive and well and do something positive and constructive each day. That's it!

Ditter, wonderful! I know I've become my mother! And my daughter is starting to become me. My granddaughter (age 14) just shudders!! LOL! Sure wish I could turn the clock back a few years. But I wish it only sometimes.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Well I read that with tears welling in my eyes...wishing I could have shared with DH.......at the clubhouse in the sky now......and now I am depressed!
    Me too Geri B! So weird that my youngest son and his fiancee visited just this past weekend, and I was thinking about just these things Ditter. I even said to them and my mother, we are all moving into the next category! Who'da thunk it?!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Ditter. I love you! All of life was not easy, but then, no one said it would be. But the parts that were good I remember so better.

Pushing 82 I relate to Ditter. I feel like I have reached the top of the mountain and am on the down hill slide, just hope I don't hit any rocks on the way down. God
    Bless all

People are living longer than our parents and grandparents did. Many are 100 years old or older! I was feeling at age at turning 72 in my hometown grocery store and the lady behind me in line was 98 years old!

You are as old as you feel. If you can still get out of bed every morning by yourself, you are blessed. In life, there are seasons of 'life', and the golden years ought to be renamed to "rust' years according to my dh.LoL! There are assisted living places before you have to enter the nursing homes. Yes, times have changed since we were young. My grandmother was born before 1900, and lived to see a man on the moon.

Don't live with regrets; you cannot go back in years and correct any thing. Rejoice every day, remember the best memories your mind can remember. If you cannot remember, make new friends every day, cause you don't remember them from before! Take each day, with a smile, laughter and love...that's what life teaches you.

Thanks for sharing. Love it.

So true, enjoy each day. You never know when it will end.
    Aronel aka Lee

Thank you Ditter, this is so true. I was great until a year ago October when I spend 8 days in Oak Hill in Brooksville and it hit me at 66 I was getting old and body was NOT keeping up. Hope your enjoying our wonderful weather.
    Carol in Homosassa

Blog Entries

I think I reached the back nine before you, Ditter. However, Life is Good, and I would not trade places with anyone I know. Sure love my sweet hubby that I have had for 63 years (April 13). This is a good story of our life and may you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Thanks for the "food for thought" today.

Blog Entries
    I got to "the back nine" one day when I was 32, and suffered a cerebral hemorhage. Enjoy what you can do while you can do it, cause you just never know. (I will say it has been amusing to watch my friends get to "the back nine" and complain "what's wrong with me? I can't remember anything!") lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I think you've got it, Ditter. I'm just glad my Grandmothers made quilts - that gave me a little heads up on what to do in my retirement, and I'm enjoying it immensely. It's why I get out of bed these days, and yes - aren't those showers a big goal!! (so's the exercise - I call it exercise when I get up from my machine and go press my pieces, then return for the next round- it keeps me moving at least, so I haven't moved my ironing board up close like I could)
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

couldn't of said it any better!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43 View Post
    You know ... time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

But, here it is... "the back nine" of my life,and it catches me by surprise...How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go?

I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that I was only on the first hole and the back nine was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting gray...they move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd become.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know, that though I'm on the back nine, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that when it's over on this earth...it's over. A new adventure will begin! Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not on the back nine yet...let me remind you, thatit will be here faster than you think.So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether you're on the back nine or not!

You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!

"Life" is a gift to you.The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one. LIVE IT WELL! ENJOY TODAY! DO SOMETHING FUN! BE HAPPY ! *Remember LIVE HAPPY IN 2015!

LASTLY, CONSIDER THIS: Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect! Going out is good.. Coming home is better! You forget names.... But it's OK because some people forgot they even knew you!!! You realize you're never going to be really good at anything like golf. The things you used to care to do, you aren't as interested in anymore, but you really do care that you aren't as interested.

You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV 'ON' than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep". ~You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch.. You tend to use more 4 letter words ... "what?"..."when?"... ??? You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!
    What used to be freckles are now liver spots.
    Everybody whispers.

You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.

~~~But Old is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLD FRIENDS*!!

Power Poster
    Make you think of what is important and what is not...This is all so true....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast