Bag home parties

Old 11-28-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I am sure a lot of us have run across this when selling our home made items. I would have to say, we in general are the ones to blame. I think we tend to undervalue our own work, which then teaches others to undervalue our work.

I set the prices on my quilts and other hand items rather high. Based on a $20/hr labor price, and retail on materials. I do not get a lot of orders but I always explain how long and how much skill is involved.

I personally think once we as crafters start valuing our own work and teaching others the value in our work, then we will see the prices go up and less people expecting cheap costs for homemade. I guarantee you Louis Vuitton values his work enough to slap those outrageous prices on them our work is no less than his,
You hit the nail on the head!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:33 PM

It is amazing how when it is a gift they tell you how much you must have put into it, but if you tell them what you would sell it for they can't understand that.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
You are right...No one wants to pay what it is worth...
This is all so true. I have 3 beaut. Bow Tuck bags I made 2 yrs. ago. A very good friend said she wanted to buy one for a Christmas gift. How much? I told her I had researched prices on Ebay & found they ran from $40 to $85. I quoted her $40 & she walked away & never brought them up again. I felt insulted. She can make basic quilts but would never tackle a Bow Tuck bag.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM

I always feel that it is "celebrities" that have had a huge influence in pricing commercial goods. When money is no object, it doesn't really matter what anything costs. The youngsters nowadays (at least here in the UK) seem always to copy these celebrities at any cost. If the stars don't have it, it's not worth having seems to be their motto.