Balancing check book?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:44 AM

Does any one else do this or is it a lost art? My bank makes is so complicated that it takes me hours to do it. Electronic checks are listed as not there and electric deposits with online withdrawals take up multiple transactions. And lord help me if either dh or I make a mistake.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 AM

I do 10 checkbooks every month...and you're right, the bank has managed to make them into a pain in the neck!! Checks are deposited electronically, which is nice in a way. I don't have to handle them, take them to the bank, etc., but on weekends, instead of showing as separate deposits to match my books, they add them all together...

It can take me days to balance one checkbook! (For the most part, the others are easy)
Old 05-05-2010, 05:48 AM

I balance my checkbook every month. That just makes me take a second/third look at all the transactions. I started that habit after a national bank (who shall remain nameless) did some weird accounting and I could not make my checkbook balance with theirs.

I have the electronic alerts to my email when it's over a certain amount, but I just like the peace of mind with balancing the account.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:51 AM

I always balance my and my husband's checkbook monthly. Banks do make mistakes. (I worked in one for 20 year) I find it easiest if I balance the book the same day I get the statement (I get my statement online - no paper). I print out the statement so I can take a pen and mark each transaction off the statement and my checkbook. Then I add any deposits/credits that the bank has not yet processed to the statement, substract any checks/debits that have not yet processed. If I do not balance it is usually one amount which can be found pretty easily. Usually takes about 10 minutes.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Online, my bank shows that I have two balances, one is what has cleared, the other what is pending.
When I balance my account, I only look at what has cleared, this is the same balance that would appear on the paper copy. I then add/subtract outstanding checks/debit card purchases and deposits.

The pending balance may not always be accurate. For example, if you go out to eat and the bill is $29.99 and you pay with your debit card, and add a tip of $5, for a total of $34.99. The pending balance at first may only show the debit as $29.99. When you sign the charge slip? They have only submitted the cost of the meal...you are adding the tip afterwards. So they usually submit the tips at the end of the servers shift. Some places do it the next day. So, that could be where a few dollars go missing. There may be other instances that this happens,but this is probably the most common.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 AM

I always balance my checkbook. It is harder with the electronic checks. The problem is I have found bank mistakes on checks. If you check the right hand corner when you get your checks back, they print the amount. 3 times when I could not balance found out the bank put in the wrong amount, you don't have that with electronic checks. When I met my husband he had never balance a bank statement. What fun that was.

I just started working for an accounting firm and they manage individuals personal accounts as well as Business. The personal we still balance their bank statements.

People laugh at me at the grocery store, I still write a check. I don't believe or want a debit card. We have two credit cards we use for everything except groceries and utilities. We carry it instead of cash and pay it off each month.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 AM

I balance my check book once a week or so. I just call up the online statement and do it from there. It seems easier if I do it more often. Less transactions to work through.

Back in the day, when I had a life, I did the books for a grain elevator. This was in the paper checks days. Often we would get 1000 canceled checks a month. What a pain! I'm sure that job is easier these days with online statements.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM

Ohhhh, I'm so bad about this! I have a lot of auto withdrawals like the mortgage, etc. Then when everything hits at the first of the month, we have X amount left over for groceries and gas. It pretty much works out, ie no bouncing checks, but no...I don't balance a checkbook. :oops:
Old 05-05-2010, 06:31 AM

We use Quicken (software instead of real checkbook) and I balance it almost every other day. That way when the statement comes I don't even have to mess with it.

We started this after a few things did not get put in and we thought we had more than we really did.

It is a great system for us and works like a charm. :)
Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 AM

I'm like Lisa - I balance mine at least once a week, so it's not really any problem. I don't write many checks, so it's not a problem at all.