Barbie Clothes

Old 11-12-2016, 04:58 AM

Aren't those cute? And will be easy for a child to manipulate. One of my granddaughters was really into the American Girl dolls a few years ago. I made clothes for her and, when I was fussing with the "miniature" of this all, I only had to remember making Barbie clothes for her mother. The 18" stuff is a breeze compared to those tiny Barbie things. Glad to hear that children still play with dolls though. Too many have their heads glued to electronics!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 AM

Prism and all......yes, the site I sent has mostlly knitted patterns. I knit up #113 to pair with sewn jeans for Barbie - and even though I used #2 needles it came out too big. Sooooooo, if some of you attempt a pattern and have the same problem, here is what I did. Turned the back facing under and sewed it on my machine and then added velcro so it fit much better - still a bit too large so sewed darts in the bust area. Looks not bad seeing its a "custom" sewing and knitted outfit (grin). I have #509 set up on the same needles but with finer yarn so we will see how that goes...

Here is the sewing pattern I use for the dresses and it goes up well....this gal has some cute patterns...

http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.c...-tutorial.html
Old 11-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Bless you for making Barbie clothes, they are too small for me; however, last year I was able to give our DGD an American Girl doll, Samantha; so making clothes for Christmas is on my "Roundtoit List".
Old 11-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for the info, Joan!
Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM

I am so glad my DGD's have American Girls instead of Barbies. There are lots of free patterns around for AG's and they sure are easier to sew than those fiddly Barbie clothes.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:16 PM

I got my one, and only, Barbie doll in 1958. I found her again while cleaning out some "stuff" and decided that I wanted to display her and decided to dress her in holiday/seasonal outfits. I found 2 twin sisters from Disney, OK, at a craft show in Tulsa who made Barbie clothes and they made an outfit for each holiday and season. I have had fun over the years dressing my Barbie and having her on display, no longer hidden away in a box.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:34 PM

Back when I was young, way way back, I designed and sewed my Barbie clothes. No patterns. Just fit and cut away excess fabric. Not bad for a kid but I would hate to see what they actually looke like now
Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 PM

My aunt made me lots of Barbie cloths even knitted ones. I still have them. I made alot of them and sold them at one time but no more! They are alot of work and so small!A site I found for AMG dolls is this one http://livingadollslife.blogspot.com...r-18-inch.html
Old 11-12-2016, 08:19 PM

I spent one whole year crocheting Barbie Doll clothes for my granddaughter. Ended up with carpel tunnel syndrome. Never again! Actually can't crochet anymore because it bothers the index finger & thumb on my right hand.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

For my DGDs naked Barbies, I cut up socks and we made all kinds of easy to make fashions. I think I found the sock info by searching Barbie clothes made from socks. I think the most fun was in the inventing. I had to warn them not to try that at home.