Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barbie doll clothes!!! eeekkk

Blog Entries
    I decided to try to sew Barbie doll clothes for the grands--again. Bought a new pattern--simple designs etc. Got 1 dress done and never again! I have tried in the past and have the same bad luck--guess my fingers just are not designed for doll clothes--even though I do mini, mini quilts.
    How about making doll bedding instead? Doll beds are 8 x 10. Think I can handle that instead. Off to Santa's workshop I go!

Blog Entries
    I never like doing Barbie clothes. I think that I would prefer buying them.

My Mom used to make clothes for my Barbie when I was a youngster. Don't know how she did it! Must have had the patience of a saint!

I use to make them for my daughter, who is 40 now! It got easier when I remembered to put in the darts! This is a Barbie!!@@

Blog Entries
    I haven't made Barbie doll clothes since my daughter was "that" age. My DGD is now at the doll age and I've been making clothes like crazy for Christmas. To me, it's the next best thing to playing with dolls. The clothes are just SO CUTE!!!

It is hard with all those tiny pieces, but so fun!

Wow -- I thought I was the only one that felt that way!!!!!

Blog Entries
    My mom too. Gowns with shawls and everything. I wish I still had them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd
    My Mom used to make clothes for my Barbie when I was a youngster. Don't know how she did it! Must have had the patience of a saint!

I made lots of Barbie doll clothes for my three girls. I also knitted some outfits. But its been a looooooooooong time. Also Peg, I made ethe exact same quilt that is in your avatar, even the colors are the same.

One of my favorite things I had that was made for Barbie was a towel. You can make a towel! It was a piece of stretchy terrycloth with fringe cut in the ends! My Barbie was the only one with a towel! Another easy thing is a sleeping bag!

I admire you for making the one dress. Those Barbie clothes are so small!

My grandmather made me some Barbie clothes for my barbie that I still have! My daughter was never that into Barbies but was into the American Girl dolls & I made lots of clothes for them. I made them matching nighties & made her doll a Brownie uniform to match hers. I had a lot of fun doing them- they were bigger than the Barbie clothes so easier to do!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    One of my favorite things I had that was made for Barbie was a towel. You can make a towel! It was a piece of stretchy terrycloth with fringe cut in the ends! My Barbie was the only one with a towel! Another easy thing is a sleeping bag!

I admire you for making the one dress. Those Barbie clothes are so small!
    Thanks oatw13. I'll give that a try. Last night got 3 mattresses and pillows made; now onto sheet sets and quilts. Ooh I have some camo fabric for sleeping bags--and canvas for a tents......

I'm trying to get clothes made for the 18" dolls but not getting very far! Have outfits cut out and need to get busy in the next 4 days!!!!!!

I haven't sewed Barbie doll clothes for a long time!

I made them for my grandkids many moons ago, I would be up till 1 or 2 in the morning to get them done! My DD informed me just recently that she has saved all of them for HER granddaughters {someday}. Probably so SHE won't have to make them herself! Now I make doll clothes for my 5year old granddaughter and the doll is a 14" doll, and this is fun!

My grandmother made ALL my Barbie doll clothes.. even Ken had stylish clothes. My granmother even made Barbie a very formal wedding dress , complete with veil and Ken a Tux....!! I still have them. My dtr played with them and she is saving them for her dtr. Luckily one of the other Gdtrs isn't into Barbie ( her mommy hates them so she wont have one) and the other gdtr prefers to make her own by wrapping fabrics and tissues... yea for her! double yea for me , not having to make them! I collected patterns for years... Thank God I didn't have to make them....whew!

Blog Entries
    So instead of raising the BP, I put it aside and praise all those mothers and grandmothers who did sew Barbie dolls. I'm hoping other GD's will enjoy the bigger dolls, too. This really frustrates me as I used to sew 75% of my kids" clothes until they were in jr. high. Yeah even blue jeans. DD's friends couldn't tell they were handmade!
    I didn't get a Barbie doll when little. Don't think Mom approved of her voluptuous (sp?)figure!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I still hear about the Christmas 50 years ago where my Mom made a whole VERY elaborate Barbie wardrobe for me, including a Wedding Dress, Evening gowns, bathing suits, you name it. I traded them all to the girl next door for her store-bought clothes because I thought they were better. :shock: :roll: :oops:

My first quilt teacher had me make pants and a top from VERY easy patterns that she tailored specifically to me. I made them, from my cotton fabric stash, wore and washed them ONCE. When I saw the wrinkled mess they became, I threw them in the good-will basket. The whole time I was sewing them I swore "never again". I would rather buy the cheapest Walmart clothes than make them myself!

It's funny. I made some pillow cases to match a quilt recently, for the first time ever, and hated making them. It felt too much like sewing clothes! LOL

Hi G

I certainly wouldn`t have the patience either to make Barbie clothes!! As much as I hated Barbies my daughters loved them. They had ALL Barbie stuff and my mother in Law (died a long time ago) made a lot of clothes. They must be somewhere in the attic and I will try to find them tomorrow.

She also made four poster beds out of those wooden boxes where two or three bodles of wine come in.
    She used four round sticks of wood to attach the bottom of the box to the lid and both daughters (29 and 25) still have them........
    Granny

When I first started up sewing again, about 3 years ago, I started with baby doll clothes as a first birthday gift for my niece. I swore then and there that I would NOT make Barbie clothes. Nope, not gonna do it. Now quilts for Barbie, that's a cute idea and I can surely quick one up by Friday midnight!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granny_59
    Hi G

I certainly wouldn`t have the patience either to make Barbie clothes!! As much as I hated Barbies my daughters loved them. They had ALL Barbie stuff and my mother in Law (died a long time ago) made a lot of clothes. They must be somewhere in the attic and I will try to find them tomorrow.

She also made four poster beds out of those wooden boxes where two or three bodles of wine come in.
    She used four round sticks of wood to attach the bottom of the box to the lid and both daughters (29 and 25) still have them........
    Granny
    Granny T you made my day!! LOL now off to Santa's workshop, have the quilts yet to finish.

Please do not give up on those Barbie clothes. Yes, it takes time but when I was making them, I never followed the pattern exactly. It was more fun draping the fabric and coming up with my own fashions. Sometime I made the back seam from neckline clear to bottom of skirt and hooked with velcor tape. Improvise and no one will know plus the children can get the garments on so much easier.

Please let me encourage you by inviting you to my site and seeing the dolls under My Sewing Projects album

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/14429146

Blog Entries
    Thanks, All Thumbs, I'll check it out after Christmas. I'm laughing to myself--if someone who calls herself "all thumbs" can make Barbie cothes, well just maybe...

Was looking for the Barbie clothes and look what I found :lol:

I also found a lot of normal size dollclothes. I put everything in the washing maschine and will hand it to the kids at christmas.

Maybe there is a way to make Barbie clothes with PP :lol:

Take care
    T

I WAS IN PACHWORK BEFORE!? 27 years ago with this outfit for DS. Next one was oldest DD incl. first shoes and the shirt from the youngest she got at the hospital
    Name:  Attachment-146707.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  43.3 KB

Did not even know that I had this stuff..............and did not find the Barbie clothes - no more digging before christmas!
    Name:  Attachment-146708.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  59.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Granny T-between the store and the "new" dolls your grands are going to have the best Christmas ever!! Love the "patchwork" shirt. Thanks for sharing. G

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast