Basement reno

Old 06-30-2023, 03:05 PM

Default Basement reno

For the last 6 weeks, we have been working on our basement, which is also my sewing room. First order was to move all my sewing stuff to the back half of the room and rip up the horrible pin-eating rug and underlay. We were pleasantly surprised to find no mold. Our plan had been to take off the very dated crappy wall panelling (remember that stuff?) but after considering the cost and mess of new drywall, we decided to paint it all a light cream colour. Wow!! What a difference. We then put down Insul Armor from Dri Core and a click vinyl flooring. Then, everything got moved to the finished side of the room and the whole process started again.

But that's not what I want to show you. DH is a woodworker by choice and a handyman/ carpenter by necessity. He designed and build these really amazing understairs storage units. Each unit has shelves about 12 inches apart and move on heavy duty drawer slides--4 for each large unit. Between the cost of the 3/4 inch plywood, the slides and the MDF for the drawer fronts, cheap they were not!! But much less expensive than anything commercial and custom built to fit the space.

I think I'm going to have to keep this man! Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails img_1760-small-.jpg   img_1766-small-.jpg   img_1768-small-.jpg   img_1779-small-.jpg   img_1780-small-.jpg  

Old 06-30-2023, 04:05 PM

Those are a work of art, themselves. Wow!

On the other end of the spectrum . . . we’re hoping to watch enough Youtube videos to manage wire shelves, so my fabric boxes aren’t all on the floor. 😆

A keeper, indeed.

hugs,
charlotte

Old 06-30-2023, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Really beautiful!
Old 06-30-2023, 07:28 PM

Wow, he's a very skilled keeper! And I really like the idea of painting the paneling, it looks very nice. I have a friend who used to live in a house with that old 70's wood paneling. They filled the lines in with spackling compound, then painted it. You couldn't tell it was paneling until you got right up on it.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:44 PM

LOL Peckish. There were a lot of gaps where the sheets met, probably because this stuff was 40ish years old. I filled in those lines with drywall compound and sanded. And I primed everything with a sealer because altho it had started out its life as a rather nice pine colour, it had been painted a smokey brown/dirty grey?!? at some point. I also needed a very small brush (think kid's water colour brush) to fill in the lines close to the ceiling. But it all worked and I am thankful for that.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:40 PM

Your space is looking great. I can imagine all the quilts you will make there. Enjoy!!!
Old 07-01-2023, 01:32 AM

Definitely a keeper! What wonderful storage space you will have now, can’t wait to see the finished space.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:26 AM

a brand new sewing place Looks great. the storage space under the stairs is so beautiful and getting rid of the rug is also a great improvement. This is a lot of work and you both did wonder. You will enjoy this "new" brighter creative place!
Old 07-01-2023, 02:50 AM

Wonderful storage under the stars! You could really fill that up with fabric.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:33 AM

Awesome storage. Wish I had stairs!