BBW's Alaska Trip

Old 06-26-2010, 04:35 AM

I'm so jealous next time take meeeee!!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 AM

rushin tailor (get it? russian tailor?) http://www.quiltalaska.com

nicholas house no website at all

changing threads http://www.changingthreads.com

northern originals http://[email protected] (not working for me)
po box 10775 fairbanks

we flew into fairbanks. got on the glass-enclosed train and started across the land portion of the trip. we went into denali nat'l park and stayed there at 2 different lodges. got to see the mountain. moose, caribou, mountain goats, dall sheep, bear. the scenery is unbelievable. picked up the ship at whittier. made stops at skagway, juneau and ketchikan. i never saw so many jewelry stores in my entire life. one fabric store in each town. 12 people year round to one fabric store.

made excursions on a paddleboat, to a glacier, on a whale watcher (yes, we saw plenty of them). also saw the ice packs calving - splitting apart. walked through all the towns - three blocks each. we only passed by anchorage on the train to the ship bussed from the ship to vancouver. most people went home from there. we continued to victoria island, then to vancouver, then on to seattle. altogether 19 days. it was very tiring as there is not one flat sidewalk in seattle or vancouver. in seattle there are outdoor elevators from the harbor street level to the next street. it's about 5-6 storeys difference.

oh, for you dog lovers, we saw susan butcher's dog training farm, which is still run by her husband and daughters. she's the one who won the iditarod for how many years? those team dogs are amazing.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM

i decided to throw these in.

whale just went down.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86928[/ATTACH]

harbour seals taking over a bouy. they didn't let a baby on.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86929[/ATTACH]

an eagle fishing. we saw him catch a fish and fly to the nest.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86930[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-86923.jpe   attachment-86924.jpe   attachment-86925.jpe  
Old 06-26-2010, 10:21 AM

Glad your had a great trip to Alaska; we spent 13 months there at Kenai, Wildwood AFB, in 1969. We moved in as a couple, moved out as a family, eldest daughter was born in Anchorage, hospital stay cost us all of $17.38. Bet it has changed a lot since...may be someday we will go back. I used the Ferry system going and coming back..Vancouver BC to Vancouver Island, to Prince Rupert, to Haines, Alaska to Kenai. We drove from Prince Rupert on return trip through Baniff and Jasper Nat'l parks to Great Falls, Montana for DH discharge from AF. Due to a huge forest fire on the Moose range, he got out 2 weeks early. Our daughter weighted 9 lbs, 12 oz, 21 inches long. She is five seven today, with an engineering degree in chemistry. Time flys..
Old 06-27-2010, 02:43 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Finally! I want more pictures to make up for the long wait. Nice to have you posting again.
What she said! :mrgreen:

I like the pic of you with wings BTW. :lol:
Old 06-27-2010, 04:51 AM

Drooling over the batiks. Thank you for the stores names. What a beautiful trip. My friends son, WIlliam Walton is the ADA in Kenai. She goes every summer. Maybe I can get her to the store for this year's souvenir for me. LOL. Thanks for sharing.