Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Beautiful Christmas Wreaths being stolen! >

Beautiful Christmas Wreaths being stolen!

Beautiful Christmas Wreaths being stolen!

Old 11-24-2017, 08:14 AM

How awful! I have been fortunate, live in very small community and live in back of someone, a lot don't even know we are here! I like it that way! Do have new neighbor in front of us who scare me, daughter on Durga n alcohol, family n friends vindictive and " borrow" things!!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
How awful! I have been fortunate, live in very small community and live in back of someone, a lot don't even know we are here! I like it that way! Do have new neighbor in front of us who scare me, daughter on Durga n alcohol, family n friends vindictive and " borrow" things!!
Oh, boy, Painiacs. That's awful. Neighbors can really make or break the area you live in. We were really nervous when the huge house next door sold. We'd had a wonderful elderly woman as a neighbor for years. She was so sweet, but we got lucky and got a very nice younger couple with kids. Nicest people you could wish for. It was such a relief.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:48 AM

When we lived at the beach they had people that came around and took your hanging plants and sold them at the flea market. I have no use foe thief's or liars.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Thieves and liars are the worst. So much easier to steal from people than to work for what you want. How awful.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

That happened to my Mom about 10 years ago. My sister bought her a gorgeous wreath for her front door and she enjoyed it maybe 2 days.
She hasn't put one on since but it's just such a terrible thing! I can't imagine how people can do this.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:14 AM

Same here, my mother's gorgeous Christmas wreath was stolen from our front door but this was more than 30 years ago and we lived in a what we considered a nice neighbourhood. Anyways, since I live in a condo and have no front door to call my own, my husband and myself hang our wreath on a hook in the window inside. Nobody can steal our wreath.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=Karo;7949704]I no longer put flowers wreaths on my late husband's grave; people steal them. (take them apart and reuse the flowers....lucrative business...all profit.)
I could not believe it when this happened to me! I always put a wreath between my parents grave during the holidays. It was stolen two years ago. It was wire tied onto the wreath frame, and frozen into the snow and ice. You could see the tracks in the snow! Mine was not the only one stolen. The depths some people sink to!!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
This is why we have two obvious (fake) security cameras on our porch, a big sign saying "You're on camera", and then a hidden camera that actually does work. And we live in a "nice" area. But two years ago at Christmas, we had a series of packages stolen from our porch. Since we've put up all the obvious (and not-so-obvious) surveillance, not a thing had gone missing! And the camera that does work is handy for when I'm upstairs and the doorbell rings - I can see through that camera from my phone or my PC and see if it's just a delivery drop-off of if there's actually someone there. I can also use it to spy on the birds that like to hunt for bugs in my front yard!

how clever to put two "fakies" and then a real one.
Someone would be fooled into thinking, oh it's just plastic, lol. We have a lot
of smash-and-grab thefts from cars in this area. You just can't leave anything on
your car seat, even in broad daylight. I know I get very sentimental about my
quilts...how awful!
Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 AM

Nothing is safe anymore, some dishonest people will steal anything that is not nailed down. In a suburb of Portland, Or. police are putting tracking devices in "dummy" packages and asking volunteers to place them on their porches. The device activates when the package is taken.

Our UPS driver places our packages inside the gate, if we are not home. He flung one package over the fence a while back. I caught him before he left and told him he just broke a crystal vase.....lol.....the look on his face was priceless!
He is a lot more careful now.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it matters where you live at all. My Mom lives in a very nice area. Actually, maybe they are the worst targets (nice areas)
My husband has a Miata and while we were away someone stole the radio out of it. We live in a cul-de-sac and never had a problem in 20 years except for that darn Miata. He was mad at himself for leaving it unlocked.