Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
because that's the way I was taught to do it >

because that's the way I was taught to do it

because that's the way I was taught to do it

Old 07-27-2017, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

There is an old story about a mother, daughter and grandmother. Mom is teaching her daughter how to cook a pot roast.
She lays the roast on the table and cuts a few inches off the end of the roast, puts it in the pan with all the other ingredients while instructing the daughter what to do. Before the roast goes in the oven the daughter asks her mother what the importance was of cutting the end of the roast off. Mom says " That's the way I've always done it, it's what Gram always did". So they ask the Grandmother why she does it. Her answer was that She did that so the roast would fit in the only pan she had.

Good lesson here.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 AM

I enjoy trying different ways of doing things. My bindings go on okay, until I get to the end. So I keep searching and finally...Jackpot! I found a way that turns out great every time! Yippee! Now, if only I could find a way to have my sewing room stay organized...
Old 07-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I am a firm believer in if I don't try it how will I know. I will try any new way and it if doesn't work out it's still a win. It's the knowing that is important.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:51 AM

Where would we be if we didn't learn new things? Certainly not on this board! (And, yes, I remember the Selectric quite well, thank you. )
Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 PM

I'm not one that likes change, however, I am willing to listen and if it makes sense, I will at least give it a try. Who knows it could be faster and better.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:38 PM

coopah, If you find a way please pass the solution along. I'm in desperate need of help. I agree with Jannie with 1 addition. It is helpful to me if I have written directions so I can do/try the 'new' idea a few times. Sewing & computer, it really helps.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:43 AM

I am always open to new ways, but they need to be proven. I still use lots of paper for lists and notes. Doing my shopping list on my iPad was horrible. I couldn't cross things off as I bought them. I love my food processor, but my knives are more efficient than many of the specialty tools that I have purchased for my kitchen. What would I do without my rotary cutter and my rulers? I only completed one large quilt with templates. I have completed hundreds using my quilting tools.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:58 AM

This thread reminds me of a story I heard from the pulpit. A minister had a multigenerational flock and was in the home of a new bride while she was cooking a ham. She sawed off the hock end of the ham before putting it in to bake. The pastor questioned why she did this and she replied, "That's the way Mama did it." The minister was intrigued and, having access to "Mama," asked her if she did the same (yes) and why (same answer). So he worked his way back through that family's Mamas (answers all the same) to the great, great grandmother. Yes, she did cut the end off her hams because her pan was too short otherwise! Great life lesson!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:09 AM

Recently our computer service became AOL. Hated it at first........but now it's fine. Guess you can teach an 'old dog' age 82 new tricks.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:39 AM

I'm always trying to think up ways to do things different. Since it's hard for me to think out of the box, I'm not as good at trying different as I would like to be. DH on the other hand rarely does the same thing twice. His brain is always working in the "how can that be done better, easier, safer, different, etc." mode. I think some of him has rubbed off on me during these past 53 years.