Bed Bugs EEEEK!

Old 09-12-2010, 05:20 PM

Call exterminator, don't wait. Bed bugs are about everywhere. One my renters came and said they had bugs biting their baby, to make a long story short. They have a visitor use the crib while visiting a few hours,and left the bed bugs.
Exterminator said b-bugs could live up to 18 months without a food source. Also put matteress in plastic covers.
Becareful in dressing rooms when shopping.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:25 PM

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this. I came home from a week away in a nice motel and 2 days later I was all broken out. I was afraid I'd brought home bed bugs. Went to the dr and turns out I had poison ivy from pulling it from under my shrubs preparing for winter. Funny thing is I'd pulled that vine before always thinking it looked like poison ivy but because I'd never broken out I thought it must not be poison ivy. Its unrelated to your bed bugs but what I've learned is that you can touch it and not get a reaction and then one day bam! Your body will react! Still I'm so sorry you have bed bugs. I think I'd rather deal with this poison ivy.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
On CBS this morning - they were saying that COlumbus Ohio has the 7th most bedbugs in the country - and if you see one female, you have AT LEAST 100,000 eggs. That is just plain CREEPY!!!!
Oh no!!!!!!! That's where I live!!!!!! AAAHHHHHHHHHH
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Well at least on a lighter note.... according to the CDC bed begs are not known to transmit disease. Although they can cause major mental trama, far more than physical! A doctor on CBS Early Show a couple weeks ago called it the "Ick factor" and it causes people to litteraly lose their minds. So althouh you might lose your mind over the bugs, you won't have to worry about getting a disease from them.

Here is the CDC's website that is FULL of info on bed bugs. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ehs/Publicat..._Statement.htm

P.s. Bed bugs and lice are my two biggest fears with having a child in school!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM

You can put the stuffed animals in heavy duty plastic bags. Seal them up tightly. You can tie the top, then use duct tape to make sure it's sealed. Leave in garage or attic or basement for about 3 months. What ever is in there will die.
I was told for rooms, if it's just one, you can tape plastic over the windows to seal them. Clean/vacuum/dust, etc the room. Take the mattress and box spring out...that has to be replaced. Once everything is done in the room, you can set off bug bombs. Once they are set off, close the door and seal the door with plastic. Let the room stay that way for a few days. It should take care of it.
At least that's what a friend of mine did. She was told to do that by an exterminator. She couldn't afford one, so this is what the man told her. It seemed to take care of the problem.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 PM

Oh you poor thing! I am so sorry you are having to go through this.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

OMG I am dying here. I saw this post but didn't comment instead I did a search on bed bugs? I wonder what they looked like etc and what pops up??????????? Cincinnati is the #1 city for bed bugs. I live 1/2 hour east of Cincinnati. I am itching all over!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Well at least on a lighter note.... according to the CDC bed begs are not known to transmit disease. Although they can cause major mental trama, far more than physical! A doctor on CBS Early Show a couple weeks ago called it the "Ick factor" and it causes people to litteraly lose their minds. So althouh you might lose your mind over the bugs, you won't have to worry about getting a disease from them.

Here is the CDC's website that is FULL of info on bed bugs. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ehs/Publicat..._Statement.htm

No problem for me! I lost my mind YEARS ago!

P.s. Bed bugs and lice are my two biggest fears with having a child in school!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone!!! Some good ideas here.

Not sure what to do now. I've spent the day washing bedding and such but when I inspected her bed I did not see one sign of a bed bug. No droppings that I could see. I asked her how big the bug was and if it was truly that size it was too big to be a bed bug. We do get other beetles in our house. Her room is in the basement so she gets all kinds of crawlies. Not sure where they get in. It is a totally finished basement.

Anyway...keep your fingers crossed. I'm going to do a more thorough inspection tomorrow and check out these links you sent me and show her a photo of one.

Meanwhile...I'm tired of laundry!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM

I'm excited! I showed my daughter the picture of the bed bug and she said oh no, that wasn't it. Thank goodness.

I'm sorry I got you all to itching!! I was in a panic and didn't know what to do. Now, I need to find out just what kind of bug it was and how did it get in and does it have friends!