Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Being Curious, How well read are you? >

Being Curious, How well read are you?

Being Curious, How well read are you?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:52 AM

I smiled when I read that sueisallaboutquilts wrote that she rereads books. I do that a lot. My son also does it. Do any of you read the last chapter first. I'm always doing that especially with mysteries...I want to know 'whodunit' before I read the book. I seem to enjoy the story more and appreciate the plot's little twists and turns. My siblings, children and husband think I'm crazy to do it. It is what it is....it's just the way I am.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 AM

21, here, I read all the time, but since college I only read for pleasure. Give me Janet Evonovich anytime. Cheers me right up. I read almost all of Steven Kings' twice. I read all of Twilight series. All Of Harry potter. I am also a big fan of Norah Roberts. So yes I am well read not in the litrerary sense I guess. But am awesome at words games because I read a lot.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 AM

Only 23. I am surprised to see Shadow of the Wind in there. I think the no. can really vary depending on your taste in reads. Good question, thanks for posting. I'll share this with my book club.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ranger
I smiled when I read that sueisallaboutquilts wrote that she rereads books. I do that a lot. My son also does it. Do any of you read the last chapter first. I'm always doing that especially with mysteries...I want to know 'whodunit' before I read the book. I seem to enjoy the story more and appreciate the plot's little twists and turns. My siblings, children and husband think I'm crazy to do it. It is what it is....it's just the way I am.
Glad to make you smile. I knew someone who read the last chapter first all the time and could never figure out why she did that!! I never have but that made me smile and think of her :) I also LOVE audio books b/c I can listen while I'm cleaning, driving, whatever. That way I can read a lot more than I would :D I have some of my favs on my ipod.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 AM

I've read 39. Though I don't really see why some of those books are on there. The DaVinci Code is a fun read, but not great literature, and A Suitable Boy was boring!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Banned

Ohhhh... bad score. I've only read 20 of those........and I used to consider myself pretty well read. Guess I'm not reading the right stuff!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Hi Guys,

I have read many of the books on that list.... but I have to say that after reading War and Peace I can understand the "Is it a work of art of just rubbish" debate - LOL LOL!

I have read hundreds of books and some of the really excellent ones do not appear on that list, although I have to say that the Colour Purple is sitting in my bedside waiting for me to start it this week!

I love reading and have taught all my children to love it too! I love making the pictures in my mind!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I've read all but six and those are the ones I started reading and lost interest in. There are many great classics left off this list but on other top 100 lists. "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, "The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck are missing and "The Egg and I" by Bettye McDonald should be on all the lists. I started Moby Dick many times but never got passed the fifth chapter.

Right now I'm reading "Nick in Time" by Ted Bell. It's great to read to your child at night a chapter at a time. The story will keep you interested as much as the child.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 AM

I've read only 16 on that list...but on average I read at least 10 books a month. When I was in school I generally read 10 books a week, as that was how many I could check out at one time!
I'm currently re-reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (that has 6 books in it? LOL). Maybe I'll print out the list & start working on the rest of these "classics"....
Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

OOPS- Steinbeck IS on here! But my fav of his is East of Eden.
I also think A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith should be on here. What a great read.