Best way ever to declutter

Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 AM

My husband still has some of his work shirts from the 70's...He will NOT get rid of clothes. I sneek a few pieces in everytime that I am going thru my things.
I moved his old clothes into the basement storage room, 2 racks 4ft long...stuffed. Everytime I even approach the clothes, I get told to leave it alone, doesn't concern me.......YUCK!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM

My DH would do the same thing. I was wanting to clean out what I'd put in the toy box my husband made our kids years ago. I thought if I hadn't needed or used them in so long, maybe just throw it all away and not go through it. But I just couldn't. And glad I didn't because there was a huge box of pictures from my parents house with pictures of five generations on both sides of my family. One day, I'll sort through them...one day.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Oh geez - my fiance won't get rid of anything! I swear he has more clothes than I do. Sometimes I'll ask if he needs a piece of paper and his response is always "I don't know, hang onto it for awhile" haha
Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I asked DH if he would clean out a stuffed hall closet for me. He doesn't mess around wondering if something is too good to get rid of. I left and when I came home the closet was empty. Not a thing left in it. I didn't even ask what he did with the stuff, all I know is it's gone. :-D :-D :-D
That's the way I clean when I get upset -- EVERYTHING GOES!! :lol: :lol:
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM

How my hubby gets me to declutter... He'll put stuff on a table in the basement. Next to it is a keep bin & a donation bin & a trash bin. Every so often I get a "Rose can you come look at this?" At which time he expects me to sort what ever is on the table. The funny part is I have noticed that stuff I put in the keep bin keeps show'n up on the tables lolol And guess what! I don't always keep it the second time around! Eventually we will be 100% declutter (assuming I stop collecting junk lolol).
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Here's my situation: Ex husband passed away leaving everything to our two children. They weren't ready to get rid of anything so it ALL came to my house. Fast forward 6 months and my then bf, now dh moved into my house with me (I had been divorced for 16 years) and brought all the things from his house that his grown children wanted him to keep plus his own treasures. Fast forward 9 months and my mom passed away and while I was away to my son's university graduation, my sisters cleaned out her house and a LOT of her treasures were boxed up and kept for me. Then last year we gutted our upstairs for renovations and packed away dozens and dozens of boxes of "stuff". Our basement is a disaster zone.

It has now been almost five years since her death and over 6 since my exhusband passed. I am SO ready to de-clutter!! But getting everyone onboard with the plan just doesn't seem to happen.

Send your husband my way! Have I got a job for him!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:05 PM

On another forum, someone posted this about her house: "I see dead people's...furniture". Remember Sixth Sense, the movie? That's a problem we've had. Hard to turn down good furniture and furniture with memories...
Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Wonderful!! Now you have a place for extra fabric........
Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 PM

We really decluttered when we moved - would hold up an item and say keep or throw? We gave lots of stuff to Goodwill, homeless shelters and people down on their luck! And guess what - we still have too much stuff and are still giving things away!

If I gave the assignment to my oldest daughter, my house would be empty!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM

PLEASE don't send him to me; LOL I am always afraid of what my DH might get rid of..:)

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I asked DH if he would clean out a stuffed hall closet for me. He doesn't mess around wondering if something is too good to get rid of. I left and when I came home the closet was empty. Not a thing left in it. I didn't even ask what he did with the stuff, all I know is it's gone. :-D :-D :-D