Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way ever to declutter

Blog Entries
    I asked DH if he would clean out a stuffed hall closet for me. He doesn't mess around wondering if something is too good to get rid of. I left and when I came home the closet was empty. Not a thing left in it. I didn't even ask what he did with the stuff, all I know is it's gone. :-D :-D :-D

LOL, great idea if you could do it, i would be worrying for weeks, if he tossed out something i needed, even if i had not used it in years.

Sounds like how my boys clean. They cleaned the basement. I looked out in time to see the biggest bondfire of my life with a couch on top! I don't know what is gone I am afraid to look. They keep threatening to do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I asked DH if he would clean out a stuffed hall closet for me. He doesn't mess around wondering if something is too good to get rid of. I left and when I came home the closet was empty. Not a thing left in it. I didn't even ask what he did with the stuff, all I know is it's gone. :-D :-D :-D
    Can I borrow him - mine will never throw anything!

Now thats how I declutter!

Oh no! I don't have hubby do any decluttering. I'd have nothing left in my house!!!

Mine is the opposite. He won't let me de-clutter anything because HE would have nothing left. Honestly, I would love to de-clutter, but when only one of you is on board with it, it doesn't work. I'd love to have a dumpster in my driveway and pitch stuff into it off the deck!

Oh I could never do that. If I let DH declutter nothing would be left in the house except fishing gear! :lol:

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I wish my DH would do that. If i ask him to clean his dresser off it takes weeks it to get done cause he has to go thru everything with a fine toothed comb. Drives me crazy.

Blog Entries
    Oh you are one brave lady...no way..but actually my honey is really bad about keeping everything...we might need it..lol Thankfully i am the neat freak.

My husband still has some of his work shirts from the 70's...He will NOT get rid of clothes. I sneek a few pieces in everytime that I am going thru my things.
    I moved his old clothes into the basement storage room, 2 racks 4ft long...stuffed. Everytime I even approach the clothes, I get told to leave it alone, doesn't concern me.......YUCK!

My DH would do the same thing. I was wanting to clean out what I'd put in the toy box my husband made our kids years ago. I thought if I hadn't needed or used them in so long, maybe just throw it all away and not go through it. But I just couldn't. And glad I didn't because there was a huge box of pictures from my parents house with pictures of five generations on both sides of my family. One day, I'll sort through them...one day.

Oh geez - my fiance won't get rid of anything! I swear he has more clothes than I do. Sometimes I'll ask if he needs a piece of paper and his response is always "I don't know, hang onto it for awhile" haha

That's the way I clean when I get upset -- EVERYTHING GOES!! :lol: :lol:

How my hubby gets me to declutter... He'll put stuff on a table in the basement. Next to it is a keep bin & a donation bin & a trash bin. Every so often I get a "Rose can you come look at this?" At which time he expects me to sort what ever is on the table. The funny part is I have noticed that stuff I put in the keep bin keeps show'n up on the tables lolol And guess what! I don't always keep it the second time around! Eventually we will be 100% declutter (assuming I stop collecting junk lolol).

Here's my situation: Ex husband passed away leaving everything to our two children. They weren't ready to get rid of anything so it ALL came to my house. Fast forward 6 months and my then bf, now dh moved into my house with me (I had been divorced for 16 years) and brought all the things from his house that his grown children wanted him to keep plus his own treasures. Fast forward 9 months and my mom passed away and while I was away to my son's university graduation, my sisters cleaned out her house and a LOT of her treasures were boxed up and kept for me. Then last year we gutted our upstairs for renovations and packed away dozens and dozens of boxes of "stuff". Our basement is a disaster zone.

It has now been almost five years since her death and over 6 since my exhusband passed. I am SO ready to de-clutter!! But getting everyone onboard with the plan just doesn't seem to happen.

Send your husband my way! Have I got a job for him!!!

On another forum, someone posted this about her house: "I see dead people's...furniture". Remember Sixth Sense, the movie? That's a problem we've had. Hard to turn down good furniture and furniture with memories...

Wonderful!! Now you have a place for extra fabric........

We really decluttered when we moved - would hold up an item and say keep or throw? We gave lots of stuff to Goodwill, homeless shelters and people down on their luck! And guess what - we still have too much stuff and are still giving things away!

If I gave the assignment to my oldest daughter, my house would be empty!!!

PLEASE don't send him to me; LOL I am always afraid of what my DH might get rid of..:)

Blog Entries
    I know I don't have any valuable or museum quality items among my stored stuff. It's just stuff. I have no use for it or I'd be using it. My sewing room has the only stored things I want. I boxed up all my kids stuff they left here over the years for me to 'keep' for them and I UPS it all to their houses. They were shocked! but I guess they found room for it or got rid of it. I kept telling them I was tired of their stuff and to come get it.

My DH did all the clearing out when we had to make repairs to the back of our house after Hurr. Gustav. I didn't even want to know what got trashed, only hoping that it was stuff that was damaged by water or the tree thru the roof. I did get to pack up everything in my sewing room. Wish he'd do the same in his garage with tools and parts for his old car!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrine
    Can I borrow him - mine will never throw anything!
    Ditto!!! His garage is so full of "stuff" you can barely walk through, and he has a whole room in the house to himself, and that is also stuffed with "stuff". He's a real, genuine packrat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissTreated
    Mine is the opposite. He won't let me de-clutter anything because HE would have nothing left. Honestly, I would love to de-clutter, but when only one of you is on board with it, it doesn't work. I'd love to have a dumpster in my driveway and pitch stuff into it off the deck!
    Too funny. My daughter dreamed one night that I died and she had 2 weeks to clean out my house(mind you I have lived here 54 years and rarely part with anything, and yes, it is getting to me even) so in her dream my best friend told her she would help her (this person throws out anything she hasn't used in a week (almost). So she looks out the window and here comes my friend down the road with a big dumpster hooked to the back of her car!!

I wish he would come over and declutter my house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast