Birdy Sewing Buddy

Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Gorgeous bird!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 PM

I l-o-v-e your bird.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Love him. We have a Dusky Conure, Monk Parakeet and Lovebird (lutino) right now. We lost out beloved Pacific Parrotlet, Sam, last spring. He was 17. We have debated whether to get a goffin or African grey, but noone in our family understands our passion for our birds. Since we wouldn't have anyone to pass them on to, we have opted for the smaller parrots. How wonderful that your daughter loves your bird and wants him. A lot of people don't know what a joy they are and how playful. It's like having a perpetual toddler, isn't it!
Ah, yes. Some parents think 1 year of the terrible twos are bad. Our home had a wall that the bird had put an Oreo Teether Toy through in a fit of rage when he found out it was nothing but plastic! He was actually hopping up & down on top of his cage making the whole cage bounce up & down off the floor. I tossed out the oreo toy immediately. LOL!!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:53 PM

I have a girl bird that you can have I just have to convince my husband that it is a great idea maybe I can fold her up in some fabric and no one will no and I can get a stuffed bird...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I have a girl bird that you can have I just have to convince my husband that it is a great idea maybe I can fold her up in some fabric and no one will no and I can get a stuffed bird...
LOL! Used to raise parakeets & cockatiels. When sold home traveled with 4 birds. Cockatoo, B&G macaw, Greenwing macaw & blue crowned conure. Greenwing went into first season started dangerous mayhem inside the motorhome, B&G rehomed. Greenwing became eggbound & died at Vets & conure got outside & was lost. My cockatoo likes being an only bird. He's pampered & spoiled rotton. My feathered kid. No more females. I miss my baby to this day. She was my comic relief & a real heart full.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Oh so sorry she is gone. gracie is a one person bird only loves my husband unless she is hungry the she pretends to like me she is an african grey with the yellow crown. Very loud. My son keeps asking to get rid of her to get mackaw. (he is 5 cracks me up I believe the macaw is louder :) I am not sure if you saw the first shrek where the girl sings and blows up the bird my son keeps telling me if I sing that song then gracie will blow up and we can get another bird.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM

I have a red-factor canary who sings to me while I sew. We enjoy our Tweety!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 PM

I think you should put him on your Avatar, with his favorite sewing notion.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Oh so sorry she is gone. gracie is a one person bird only loves my husband unless she is hungry the she pretends to like me she is an african grey with the yellow crown. Very loud. My son keeps asking to get rid of her to get mackaw. (he is 5 cracks me up I believe the macaw is louder :) I am not sure if you saw the first shrek where the girl sings and blows up the bird my son keeps telling me if I sing that song then gracie will blow up and we can get another bird.
LOL! My husband has always wanted an African Grey. Yes, macaws can be very loud. So can cockatoos. Every once in a while I threaten to buy a birdy muzzle. LOL!! He talks so much that we can't have a conversation or hear tv. He's scared to death of anything that flies (even houseflies) & he will deafen us in the motorhome if we don't kill it & get it out of here. That jungle scream reverberates in here.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Oh yes I am very familiar with the cockatoo scream. Charlie (my moms) has one that sounds like she is saying "I'm a wreck, I'm a wreck, I'm a wreck" then after screeching that she says "baaaad bird, baaad bird". She is so funny but yes that screech can be ear peircing. She does it mostly when she wants attention. But a sweeter and more loving bird you will never know. Loves to be held and snuggles her head into your shoulder and lifts up her wing so you put your hand under it and hug her. Here is her picture taken in my mom's backyard in Vegas.

Charlie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158703[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158698.jpe