Birthday Presents

Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NancyG
I used to be like you, but have pared down to only 1 or 2 gifts per child. They get so many things from other grandparents and relatives, that they end up with an over abundance of stuff. So I am giving less these days. Same with Christmas.
ditto here. in my case, though, the parents give so much that my gift seems pitiful in comparison
Old 10-23-2011, 03:46 AM
dd

We have set a $ amount so you can get one thing for that or a bunch of little things which ever the child wants.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:00 AM

I tend to go overboard for all occasions. Except now that they are getting older their presents tend to cost more. So I generally go by cost not numbers. But when they were small they loved to open lots of little presents versus one big one like now :)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:09 AM

It is always so hard- DH has 4 grand-kids and their mother continues to make poor choices- as a result I always get 5 outfits, socks and underwear for each of the kids and 1 toy for birthdays, when school starts and Christmas and new winter coats every year. She does not interact with anyone else in the family so it is just us. DH thinks they need more toys; I always tell him that they need clothes, not toys that will be played with once or twice and then forgotten; besides with 4 kids she has more than enough toys for them all to play with!!! My GD is the same as her parents also make poor choices so I always send "practical" items for her.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 AM

My B-day gift amount nowadays is $50. I have 9 DGkids, ages 11 (only DGS) to 29. Yes, that's 8 DGD's. After age 6 I stopped buying the girls clothes, instead DH and would take them out for lunch and shopping for a new outfit. Now that the girls are older and 6 live out of state they receive a $50 check for their B-days, nice and simple. DGS 11th B-day was last month and his gifts were a Rutger's t-shirt ($10-his Dad our DS#3 is a grad), we went shopping with him for a computer game ($30) so when we were leaving I gave him $10 as spending money.

My sons and their wives also get checks for their B-days but for Christmas each family member gets a personal main gift and maybe a few little items.

A whole new ball game is in the works as far as gift giving goes, last year we got a new DGS (married one of our DGD's) and 2 new DGD's coming next year as one DGD is getting married in June and another in the Fall.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I get my GK savings bonds for there birthday and Christmas. They get so many things and this will help when they go to college.
This is exactly what I do. They have WAY too many toys and I feel like I am investing in their future by buying savings bonds.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 PM

I have a certain amount that I spend on each grandchild, so get what I can with that regardless of the number of presents.