Black Friday Ads 2009

Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 AM
CRH

I realized I didn't know why they called it Black Friday, because I always associated that term with the stock market crash of 1929, so a negative term in my mind. So----I looked it up here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_F...%28shopping%29

Page down to Accounting Practices, which explains that even if retailers are operating in the "red" all year, the day after Thanksgiving shopping put them in the "black". Now it doesn't seem so negative. :)
Old 11-22-2009, 01:22 PM

No, no black friday for me. I am going to catch up on my UFO's for Christmas. I am headed out to Joanne's for ribbon for a tree skirt I am just about done with, but can't find a flyer. It never came! Yikes. :shock: I went on line but no coupon's in there. Hope it's on sale.
Carol-CT :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Well, I think I will join the online community this year LOL and shop in my jammies and slippers while drinking my coffee in the comfort of my home :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM

Shopping in jammies sounds good to me. There must be good deals on line for those companies who do not have a store to walk into. Maybe we can do better.
Carol CT :mrgreen:
Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 PM

I live not too far from a large Outlet Mall and they've been advertising their sales for a month. They open at Midnight on Thanksgiving and supposedly people have been camped out there all day. (How not to spend Thanksgiving in my book!!) They have busses that come from Canada and all the hotels are booked for miles. Last year one of my co-workers went and sat in traffic for 3 hours and never moved!! She turned around (illegally) and came back home. This just does not sound like fun or sane to me. There is nothing I need to buy so badly that I'd waste all that time for. Well, maybe another Kathy VanZeeland purse at 50% off---just kidding!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

Open at midnight :shock: I just heard an ad here for a 3am sale...it used to be 6am...then 5am...last year a few started at 4am...I guess in a few years dinner's will have to be finished early for the Thursday 6pm sales LOL :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

Isn't it crazy what the stores will do to get your money first ??? I will try to get to Jpannes, but two years ago I went to my local one and the wait to get fabric cut was over 2 hours they estimated :twisted: I left with nothing . Last year I went to one in a smaller town half an hour away, took a friend who stood in line with cart while I went and got fabric . This year don't know for sure what I will do :?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:38 AM

WOW I'm so happy to hear that I'm not the only one who cann't stand to go out on BF. I'm just one of those ole people standing at the register at 6 am. Friday and 11 pm Sat and to beat that we have no special sale, T J Maxx. Think some people must have to have craziness to get their shopping started. We have been busy for a good month so some have started earlier then usuall.

[b]HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 AM

We DO Black Friday every year. It's kind of a family tradition and we look at it as a totally fun thing! On Thanksgiving night we go thru the flyers and create lists - we have "girls car" and a "boys car". We then try to snag a few things but if we don't we don't! My daughter-in-law and I always go to Jo-Ann's for the flannel. My husband stopped in one year and was shocked to see how calm it was and how the ladies waiting in line were simply chatting to each other. His comment was "no type A's in here" lol After the crazies, he takes us all out to breakfast. We all share our stories of the "nut cases" and have lots of laughs. We never do Wal-Mart - it's a combat zone!!!! AND it was a lot more fun to do "in the old days". It's still fun, but you can't look at it as a way to do any real shopping.