Blackberries

Old 05-19-2011, 05:13 AM

My husband eats some on his cereal each morning. Just wash them, spread on cookie sheet, freeze, then put them in plastic bags. They can be used for pies, cobblers, etc. this way. If we have a good crop, I make pies and freeze them, unbaked. Then when I need one I just pop it into the oven, frozen or unfrozen and bake as usual. If frozen it takes a little more time. Can't express how many times these frozen pies have saved me!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:16 AM

In GA neighbors had ones they grew which were good but some wild ones came up in our yard. I convinced my DD not to mow them down .They were the best berries I ever put in my mouth. Although running across the street to pick the neighbors was pretty darn cool too.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 AM

I don't mind waiting til August for my berries and miss the chiggers - they sound awful!!

On the other hand, I am seeing deerflies in the house already - they are our biting fly that usually does not come out until later in the spring.

I made BB jelly twice last year - once with pectin and once without. Without came out better as it got more concentrated with the longer cooking, and had more flavor.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 AM

Thanks for all suggestions. Mommas place is right. Here in Selma where I live is down a private road. I am the only one who built here at this time. The other property is sold but I know the owners. Since road is private no one hardly drives on it and it is never sprayed. These banks of berries are about 5 feet off the road and easy to get too. So, guess I am going to be berry picking for a few days. Oh, forgot to mention I took my Shephard with me yesterday to pick a few and he loves them. I would put one in the bucket and he would wait for me to give him the next one.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 AM

I plan to pick blackberries this year too. I used to pick them when I was a kid and walk to town and sell them. $1.00 a gallon. I like to eat them right off the vine.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 AM

I live in western WA. (state) and blackberries grow wild here. They are yummy in pies, cobbler, dumplings and jam or just with sugar on top. To freeze them I wash them in a LARGE bowl of water. The bugs and lief's float to the top. Then drain, repeat this step. Spread them out on a cookie sheet, freeze, now put them in a zip lock bag. They will stay whole and easy to take out as many at a time as you need returning the rest to the freezer:)
Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Vat

I live near Warrior, Al. and our blackberries are a long way from being ready to pick. We only had Blackberry Winter about 4 weeks ago. We have lots of berries on the vines but not ready , yet. You can use blackberries any way you use any other berry.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 AM

You have got to watch those dogs. We had a small dog named Chance.He could find and eat the ripe berries faster than we could pick. He was a silly little dog.His lips and white hair would be purple.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:02 AM

you are LUCKY eat and cook away
Old 05-19-2011, 06:04 AM

We pick gallons of wild blackberries on our property every year to freeze. They are great on ice cream or just with cool whip!!! Enjoy ;)