Blackberries

Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 AM

I don't know if you have snakes there but here the snakes love them and are drawn to them so be careful.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

We live in the woods and have lots of Blackberries. Last year I made 23 pints of jam. My DH just loves it. Great find. BTW, I have never heard of packsaddles. This is the only insect listed on Google. http://bowilliams.com/2007/03/beware...d-pack-saddle/. It seems they are quite large and colorful. They are the caterpillar that turns into the Regal Moth.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 AM

YES! YES ! Eat whil you are pickin` clean them lil` monsters and save `em for winter and holidays pies ,turnover, cobbler yum yum you can sell them by the quart,pint,ect,ect... and make you some extras fabrics,sewing supplies moneys GO GIRL!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 AM

I love it! I love it! I have a story for you and it is true. We had a pump house with heat naturally and that is where all my canning went from jellies to peanuts. One day two men knocked on my door. . .long story short. . .they were "revenue ers! ha ha. I was on the list of "extremely" high sugar use. They wanted to see what I used it for. Out to the pump house we went. The rest of the story is. . .okay mam we just have to check. They went away with a jar of jelly. My pump house is large and one whole side was shelves with full jars, freezer opposite that. My close incounter with reveners and I don't drink. ha ha ha.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 AM

Don't forget pies and tarts! If you use a couple of tablespoons of tapioca in a large pie it won't be so runny. You can do deep dish with one crust, or a regular two crust pie, or a flan with black-berries on top 1/2 way through cooking or fresh on top after it's cooled.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 AM

I've had a good laugh from some of this. I can just imagine wearing all that gear and going out to pick berries.LOL
We pick ours out in a pasture and the only thing we might see are a couple of cows and our own dogs that accompany us!
Some of you live in some very interesting and scary environs. In Selma AL she is likely to only need to watch out for snakes and spray for ticks.
And those of you who pick buckets and pails of berries!! Wwwow!! They don't grow in that quantity around here.
Also where she is out from Selma unless the roadside grass has been sprayed to kill it back, the berries probably haven't been sprayed. It is pretty rural and probably not been touched with anything dangerous to humans.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 AM

blackberries in the wild - free food from God!, it would be sinful not to pick them, lol - (as long as they dont belong to anybody). I have a field full and am picking them now. I just hate to let them die on the stem. Eat them fresh or can, freeze, jam them. sharet
Old 05-19-2011, 05:02 AM

better pick them b4 the deer or other critter get them. Yes they are good to eat. If you freeze them don't wash first as they will get soggy when thawed. Enjoy
Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by jdiane318
You can layer them on a cookie sheet and freeze them, doesn't take very long. Pour frozen berries in freezer ziplock bag and keep. This way your berries won't be all stuck together and you can easily pour them out in a measuring cup when needed. One thing I have to admit I learned from Martha Stewart.
Yip me too.. Wash and let dry. when dry put on wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze.. I measure out four cups and sucky bag them (foodsaver). I will can them, make pies, cobblers, jams, use for cooking and baking..

I can honestly say thanks for the laugh.. I guess im spoiled, mine are in my orchard so there's no bears, coyotes, Possible snakes but my doggie will ward them off.. No poison, only organic pesticides and the only fighting ill do is with the birds.. and that's to see who can get to them first! but i think there will be plenty my hedges are almost 10 feet long. So i think sharing with the feathered friends would be ok..
Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 AM

We used to eat all the ones we didn't make jam out of. Yum - purple tongue, purple lips...