Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Blind Hemmer????  Anyone have one? >

Blind Hemmer???? Anyone have one?

Blind Hemmer???? Anyone have one?

Old 03-28-2015, 02:23 AM

Use it any time I'm hemming with my Bernina. Makes a good narrow topstitch guide, too. Perfect for topstitching pockets on, edges, etc...
Old 03-28-2015, 03:48 AM

A blind hemmed foot came with my machine. With a little practice it is easy to use.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 AM

If you're talking about the foot that comes with most machines, I love mine and I use them all of the time. Just like anything else, you need to practise a bit but not hard at all. I've seen the machines and they scare me, because the needle goes sideways. I've known people who have used them and they never had any problems.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:32 AM

Mine just has a setting on my machine, had to read the direction. Don't use it enough to remember how, have to start from scratch each time, but once you get the hang of it (it has more to do with folding the fabric, them the foot) it is pretty easy. If you still have it, gran your instruction book that came with your machine.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:48 AM

The blind hemmer machine makes the stitch you see on retail hems--you know when you pull one thread just right, it totally unravels the entire hem? It sews horizontally instead of vertically like your sewing machine, and only uses a top thread---there is no bobbin. The cover stitch on the inside looks luke a serging stitch, but outside are only tiny pin dots of thread. It does a professional job. Totally different from the blind stitch on a sewing machine. You can view a demonstration at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuBwBGU9lE

Last edited by mermaid; 03-28-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:03 PM

I use the stitch on my machine that sews 5 straight stitches, then one off to the side zigzag. It does a great job, thought because it's not a true blindstitch, I need to put the bulk of the garment under the arm, but that no big deal with most apparel. You fold the hem in such a way that the 5 stitches are in the hem and the needle picks 2 threads in the pant fabric as it swings over. Do you have a machine with any built in stitches or cams? This one is pretty common.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by clem55 View Post
The attachment foot comes with most machines, or can buy separate. They are so easy to use, takes a couple minutes to set up hem, but then so fast. That is the only way I hem, all fabrics.
ME too....lol I use to do the hemming by hand, not anymore.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:12 PM

There is a blind hem stitch built into my machine and I use it quite often. It's easy and quick to use. Once the hem is pressed, it looks great.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
You probably have that stitch built-in in one or more of the machines you already have. Check the manuals, and as maniac quilter said, it is a straight stitch for about four stitches, then a zigzag, then straight stitches. The sewing machine manual will even show how to fold your fabric for the stitching. The key is to set it so the bite (zigzag) does not go too far into the folded edge of fabric.

This is my comment too. Unless you are planning to become a professional tailor or home decorator, one of the sewing machines you list as owning should have a hem stitch built into it. Blind hem machines cost a few hundred dollars and do the chain-type stitch as mentioned....and one less " machine" to make room for. Jmho

Last edited by Geri B; 03-31-2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 PM

Suz in Iowa; it looks to me like every machine you own has a built-in hem stitch. Go to your local quilting guild, or LQS (if you will) and ask someone there to demonstrate hemming for you. Take an old pair of pants, or skirt, with you to be used for the demonstration. The tactic is a little difficult to understand, but once you work it out in your mind, you are good to go. Amazing. You hem a skirt in less than 5 minutes without much worry changing thread colors, etc. than you would, sitting in front of the TV for a whole show before you have a garment hemmed.