Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bread Machine Help...please! >

Bread Machine Help...please!

Bread Machine Help...please!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 AM

First of all let me tell you from experience that not all bread machines are a like. I did not have a good experience with the Breadman and took it back. I've tried several and while most were ok my favorite is Zorisiki (so not spelled right). I love this machine. You can make large or reqular size loaves; use regular or rapid yeast and any flour. It makes cakes, jams and jellies. King Arthur Flour test their recipes with it.

You can use any type of flour and yeast and should see little difference. On my machine I have a different setting if I use rapid rise yeast since it's faster. If you are having this much problem I'd consider going with a different one. They really are great.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 AM

If you just dump everything in and don't follow the machine instructions for whatever machine you have no wonder you haven't had one to bake right! Some want the liquids first (most) and at a certain temperature range. others may have a different order.

Bread flour IS different than regular flour and while you can use regular flour, using bread flour does make a difference. You can buy either at the grocery store these days.

There should be adjustments for altitude and you should be able to bake a loaf at high altitude. I am sure there are people who live high in the mountains that have used the machines and perhaps they can help you with the adjustments that need to be made.

I have found if all else fails, READ and FOLLOW the instructions given and after you have mastered those, then deviate and experiment from time to time. Bread machine yeast is a faster rising yeast than regular yeast and compensates for the shorter times with the bread machine.

My two cents for the day!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 AM

Glad to hear you have one that turned out pretty well, Just be sure to measure accurately and adjust your water and flour after your dough has more or less kneaded into a ball. That is the time to tell if you need more liquid or more dry ingredients moreso than in the crumb stage, but it apparently worked for you. Yes, record what you do and how you did it etc., each time for a while and you will see a pattern to your failures most likely that will help you identify any problems.

I just wish warm fresh bread didn't gather on one's hip so badly! I am not a bread eater per se unless it is warm right out the machine or oven and then like lots of butter on it! Not a good thing for me, but it tastes soooo good!

Good luck, you will be more confident as you play with your machine. Let's face it, the spoiled loaves make great food for the birds.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Banned

Its been YEARS since I used a bread machine, but back when
I did I always used the flour (Pillsbury Best I think is what it was)
The label said something "better for bread" or "best for machine bread"
something like that.

I quit using my bread machine and finally got rid of it when I moved
to Colorado and could not seem to find the "happy medium" for the
"high altitude" baking (nothing I tried worked).

Now when I make bread I just pull out my big Kitchen Aid mixer and
go to work.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 AM

Before you throw out your bread machine try using Bread flour. When I used my bread machine, I had much better results using this type of flour. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:45 PM

I made some bread today by hand and it turned out lovely. I am thinking perhaps I do not like my bread machine. I had hoped it would be an easy way to make a loaf of bread during the week. I haven't given up quite yet. I like to make bread, it just is an easy 4 hour process.
I will try again and see if I can't perfect it a bit more.
Kirsten
Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 PM

Bread machines can be very problematic. I've been baking bread for over 10 years and have gone through several bread machines. The first one is still running but all
the newer ones lasted a few months only. Some would leak machine oil, etc. Finally
I gave up on bread machines and bought a Bosch mixer just for kneading. I've had
it for about 5 years and it's a lot sturdier than any bread machine or Kitchen Aid. If
you're having problems with your bread machine, try to knead the dough in the machine then remove it and let it rise in a bowl. Sometimes what makes the bread loaves get that funny shape is that it hits the roof of the machine and has no where else to go but down. I hate that. LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Check your water temperature. My recipes call for dry milk and if I use regular milk it doesn't work very well.