Bring back the joy

Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by pojo
It is not the same when your children leave.

Even when you have grand children too.

You don't here those little pitter patter noises like when they were at home. I surely miss it.

They come to visit and then they are gone.

I get very sad at the holidays. I surely miss my children.
Me to and I miss my mom and grand mother most at this time of year.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 AM

Enjoy! Just this morning as well as yesterday it was mentioned not putting the tree up.I have given away my huge tree and just have a little one and still they don't care about it. It is sad not haveing any little ones around anymore....
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by pojo
It is not the same when your children leave.

Even when you have grand children too.

You don't here those little pitter patter noises like when they were at home. I surely miss it.

They come to visit and then they are gone.

I get very sad at the holidays. I surely miss my children.
I so know how you feel. The holidays have felt a little sad for me the past couple years. My two daughters are grown and my college age son really does not seem to value family much anymore. We used to make a big deal of everything and spend a day cutting a tree, lunching, decorating, etc. Now, it kind of seem pointless. I want it back!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:52 AM

I know what you mean. I have clinical depression and normally the meds keep it under control, But the Holidays just about lay me out. Kids 2,000 miles away, rest of the family (siblings Inlaws) are scatttered across the county. I haven't decorated in years. Yesterday I put up my little tree and decorated it with my box of heirloom ornaments ( some of these go back to my first Christmas 55years ago) I was crying as I did this. I miss my family so much.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 AM

We're about 5/7 hours drive away from any relative. It's hard mentally. My husband's family never celebrated any holiday, which is very sad. He never was raised with family memories.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
I know what you mean. I have clinical depression and normally the meds keep it under control, But the Holidays just about lay me out. Kids 2,000 miles away, rest of the family (siblings Inlaws) are scatttered across the county. I haven't decorated in years. Yesterday I put up my little tree and decorated it with my box of heirloom ornaments ( some of these go back to my first Christmas 55years ago) I was crying as I did this. I miss my family so much.
I also have clinical depression. You sound so sad. :cry: Now I am sad too. I miss my son at holidays too but he and my daughter in law will be down from Ga. this year. I bet someone will suprise you too. I am not that fond of xmas because it is so commercial. Not like when I was young. Just sad. I would love to see a picture of your little tree. I love heirloom things and I like to heirloom sew too. grammiepamie
Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Cyn

Sounds like a blast and a great memory maker!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM

We've had the grandsons over for three days this past week. The tree is in the stand, we have lights and ribbons on and even a few ornaments. I need to go finish that tree so when they come over this afternoon we can put the train around the bottom. We could have finished quicker without them, but they have enjoyed the spirit of the season with us and I appreciate their company. 3 year old grandson has even been sewing 10 minute tablerunners with me. Takes more like 2 hours to finish one. Love and Seasons Greetings to you all.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Don't be hard on yourself. Do a few Christmas decorations to suit you. Be assured we understand that not just at Christmas time but moments throughout the years we miss the kids gone from the nest! You must be extra proud of your son in the Navy. Thank him for us all for his service. God keep him safe.
Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have had real mixed feelings this year...normally Thanksgiving weekend the holiday music goes on and the decorating gets in gear...i usually do it up! have quite a village from you know 30+ years of collecting pieces...
about 4 years ago hubby & i moved to a new house...about 40 miles from any nearest relatives ... not far- just far enough
i still decorated like always, last year i did it all alone, spent an 8 hour day putting up the village, everything, ahhhhhh it was beautiful! and not a single person the whole month stopped by and saw it, and i had (mixed feelings) about that....so what i enjoyed it.... maybe this year we will have the grandgirls up sometime during the month?...... maybe i aught to just 'not-bother' and save electricity?..........maybe i should just get decorating...and it will pull me out of this slump?.......hubby is even willing to participate this year....... part is the empty-nester thing i'm sure, since my (baby) joined the navy this past year and is clear across the country, other son in Florida...daughter is here...40 miles away...those girls lead the busiest lives....it is hard to (catch-them)
anyhow....
Old 12-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
The year before Mom and Dad died they let my DD decorate their Christmas tree-----She was 3! All the decorations were on the bottom 18" of the tree. Crammed up but only on the bottom. Josie thought it was beautiful and so did Mom and Dad. When my SIL said that she'd redecorate it so that it would look nice mom told her no. She said, "That's Josie's tree and she likes it so we're leaving it just they way she did it." We celebrated Christmas with the tree decorated that way. You grandkids will love making Christmas with Grandma.
That is my style. All the school made ornaments with their pictures are front and center. Children will only be good parents if we let them be good kids.