Brother DesignNCut

Old 11-09-2017, 08:20 AM

Default Brother DesignNCut

Do any of you have the new Brother DesignNCut? I'm thinking about getting one and the reviews are limited at best. I only found one so far. If anyone has one, I would love to know your thoughts on it. It is worth the investment? Easy to use and setup? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I looked at the ScanNCut at the Houston Quilt Festival. It looked very easy to set up and use, but I decided against purchasing one. I'm doing fine with the rotary cutter for now. I believe the only difference between the two is that the DesignNCut doesn't do scanning, which is the feature I would really want if I were doing lots of applique.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with the Brother brand.
Nor am I all that familiar with all the competition brands.

However, I did see the Janome brand demonstrated last year and thought it was pretty impressive.
No idea which ones match up regarding features.

However, to me if one was doing a lot of applique these would be something to consider.

Or better still ... what about a store "renting" time to customers?
I bet they would get a lot of sales in the end, for the convenience of having it at home.

Or a group of friends buying it together?
Or a guild?
Old 11-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Look on you tube there are a lot of videos that show how it is used. I have one but I haven’t done any applique cuts with it. You can scan patterns into it. I use it for cardmaking mainly. Anna
Old 11-09-2017, 06:21 PM

These are two different machines so be sure to throughly check out the features first.

The SNC has different models within this product so compare those separately. There is so much you can do with them. Our LQS has two classes each month for us to play.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 AM

I have the Brother Scan n Cut and the Silhouette. The software that you download for the Silhouette is awesome. It's free to d/l..but you can upgrade to an enhanced version. I use the software to make my own designs. You can almost find any picture or words or whatever and trace them and make cut files. I never buy designs for it anymore.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:57 AM

Thanks for all your input. It gives me some more things to consider.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:09 AM

I love mine!! Bought it a couple of years ago and have used it to cut my own stencils, templates and fabrics for applique. It can cut craft foam (the thin stuff), stencil plastic, as well as paper ( I cut my own EPP forms). I don't use it every day but I sure am glad to have it when I want.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:15 PM

I would get the scanncut because you are not tied to software or a computer. The design and cut is more like the silhouette
Old 11-13-2017, 06:14 AM

Compare the machines, before the Design n cut there are a few different models of Scan n cut, all from Brother. The upgrades are free which makes it nice. Brother lets you compare the machines on thier site plus there are lots of you tube videos. Scan n cut is pretty easy to use and like most thing has a learning curve but works for all kinds of things from applique to quilt squares and crafting of all kinds. It'll also cut lots of different materials including balsa wood. Check them all out before you decide