C-PAP anyone?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 AM

Yes, Cpaps are hard to get used to, but believe me when I tell you they are well worth the effort to get used to. Now I won't even lay down for a short nap without my cpap.
I have my tubing covered with a fleece covering that I bought where I got the cpap. Not only does it keep the tubing from catching on everything and making that sound, but it keeps condensation from forming inside the tubing. Believe me that can get scary if a lot of condensation accumulates because before you know it water is dripping inside the mask and you feel like you're in a shower or drowning!!!! I mention condensation because I keep my bedroom cold, summer and winter, and the warm moist air from the cpap machine condenses in a cold room. Also if the tubing should touch you during the night as you toss and turn, the tubing feels soft and cozy, unlike the cold snaky feeling of the bare tubing, :-)
Also, I discovered that I wanted a 10 ft tubing instead of the 8 ft. It gives you more ease to roll over etc. and less chance of pulling the machine off your bedside stand. If you get the 10 ft tubing and you want the fleece covering, you'll have to get 2 coverings to cover the tubing. Hope this answers your questions. Please keep on trying to get used to the cpap - it could save you life. Sleep Apnea can cause heart attacks and strokes. I've just read the above post, and I want to add that your machine should be level with the top of your mattress or with your head. Also I suggest that you do have the humidifier on your machine because if you don't you are going to wind up with a very dry mouth and throat and that's not healthy
Old 09-25-2011, 07:07 AM

They make a memory foam pillow to use with the c - pap.

Husband uses that machine and for christmas I want to get him the pillow.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:52 AM

There is also a special thing you can order that goes over your nose. Not sure what its called but it's like a second skin. My husband's nose has the same problem. We have tried other types of mask and this one works best just have to get that skin thing for it. ;)

When he goes to bed and puts on his machine he's out very quickly.

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i like the noise that the cpap makes. its a white noise that puts me to sleep instantly. i keep the machine even with my face, on the nightstand. i tuck the hose under the pillow and it comes out just below the corner. but the new one, although cushioned, is hurting the bridge of my nose. i'm waiting for new one made of a woven silk-like fabric. it's called a weaver and its full faced. i breathe through my mouth sometimes because of allergies and because i broke my nose in a fall. because of a face injury my face is slightly off center (it gives me character) and i get noisy air leaks during the night that wake me up. i'm hoping the new mask takes care of all that.

i was told that if you have a humidifier, which i do, that the machine should be level with your head. was anyone else told that? i'm a side sleeper.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 AM

I place my C-PAP on the floor by my bed (on a towel), because I pulled mine off the first night also. I don't put mine on until I feel I am going to sleep, it seems to help, it also may take a while to get the right mask or nose pillows, if you are still having trouble with it after a week - call the people who set you up with the machine and ask for a different mask, the nose pillows worked best for me. I am getting the best sleep of my life now, no waking up in the middle of the night (2-3 times) to go you know where.

Good Luck!!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 AM

My husband uses c-pap. Took a bit to get used to. He has come to really appreciate the rested feeling that he has as a result of this treatment. Now, he never goes without! It is the first thing packed for every trip we go on!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 AM

My head board has a shelve and that is where the machine sits. I also slide the hose under the pillow so the hose does not move around. I have gotten used to it but sometime it does not behave on my face and I just take it off. But when I do use it, I sleep all night and do feel better the next day. I also let my husband sleep since he is not awaken by my snoring. Try it it will help.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 AM

both husband & myself use one. Ours are both quiet when we are wearing them. We both have our machines down lower that night stand. Mine on a small footstool next to night stand. (not in my way when I get up) Husband's on lower shelf of his table. Both use mask that goes over nose only. And we tuck our hoses over and around our pillows. I move around from side to side without any trouble. Our hoses must be at least 3-4 feet long. At first I had indentations on cheeks from the straps (chubby cheeks) but had scraps of fleece, made a tube large enough to fit over straps and no more marks for entire day. We both had no trouble adjusting. But I also know from other friends that there are many different kinds of masks and machines. So shop around if a change is needed. We both have the heated machines. Mine is as low as possible during summer and # 1-2-3 for winter. The humidity levels may have to be adjusted from time to time to avoid humidity in hose. And don't forget to adjust the mask for snub, not tight, fit. Check insurance for replacement masks, too, on a regular basis. Good luck and don't give up.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
What a timely topic this was for me, a one week user of CPAP for the first time! Thank you for starting it.

I have the ResMed S9 Escape™ w/H5i™ Humidifier and I use the Swift FX For Her XS nasal pillow mask. In the Sleep Center I tried a couple different masks and wasn't really good with either. I received the Swift FX nasal pillow when I bought my machine in network locally and find it much more comfortable.
My machine rests on a bench right at bed height at the head of my bed where I can turn it off and on with a hand over my head.

Yes, I still have a some trouble with it....feel like I'm O2 deficient the first few minutes when putting it on; I think I need to adjust the pressure upward a tad, though the Tech said I was ordered for 9 (my chip will tell the Dr. that info in 3 more weeks); I feel like I have to keep adjusting the mask though I probably really don't have to make all these adjustments; I wake up when I feel like turning over and have to move/adjust the hose a few times which makes it harder to go back to sleep; sometimes the exhale and the air bother me; I don't yet really feel like it's doing what it's suppose to as I'm still sleepy when I get up, even after 8-9 hours.

But, interestingly, the Resp. Tech who sold and fitted the machine and mask for me, did tell me that since I've had this disorder for a long time (per Dr.), it probably would take my brain some time to catch up on the idea that help is on the way. She said I might not see the peppy, alert, well-rested affects for a few weeks as my brain learned something new.
Who knows, the idea seems to work to let me off the blame-myself-it-isn't-working treadmill.

Each night is better than the one before and I look forward to a peaceful, loving relationship with my CPAP any week now. Guess I should think of a name for her!

Jan in VA
Hi Jan,

Hang in there, too. I have this mask too, and love it. It's the easiest one for me out of the 5 or 6 that I've tried in the last few years.

This whole CPAP thing does indeed take some getting used to, tho. But, eventually you WILL notice a difference. I too, was SO sleep deprived by the time I was diagnosed that it took months to feel better. In fact, my doc said I couldn't even drive for 4-6 months until I was better oxygenated, clearer in the head and less sleep deprived.

I noticed the greatest difference in my second year of use, but some folks feel better much sooner than that. Now, I can't even take a nap without using it. If you haven't done so, please revisit the strap adjustment booklet, CD or online info for your best comfort. I learned after several months that I wasn't wearing the back strap correctly. LOL Made a huge difference in the mask staying properly seated. Also, the size nasal pillows that the tech said I needed to use did not, in fact turn out to be the right size after all. So, if you experience a fair amount of leakage after getting your straps on correctly, you might try the next size pillow.

I have lost a lot of weight, have much more energy and desire to do what I need to do and in general, just feel a whole lot better.

I too, would like to put a plug in for cpaptalk.com as it's a great forum, full of all kinds of wonderful info.

Hang in there,

Karla
Old 09-25-2011, 12:28 PM

I have had mine for about 6 years. I sleep so much better with it. Can tell a difference the next day if I don't use it. I have a swing arm lamp on the wall above my bed and I loop my tube over it. Works very well.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 PM

My husband uses one but my problem is this: He still trys to breathe out of his mouth. It is very irritating.