Cake Decorating

Old 08-31-2018, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

A beautiful job, don't think you forgot.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:25 PM

I'm gobsmacked! How in the world did you make that so perfectly round? How did you get the hexagons so perfect? How did you keep the blue from getting in the white? LOL . I took a cake dec class with my daughter when she was in junior high. I thought I'd never learn how to get the crumb coat mastered! BUt then I started having fun . Your skills are beyond good!
Old 08-31-2018, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

​Well done!
Old 09-01-2018, 02:28 AM

I’d say you did a pretty good job for being out of practice. It looks perfect...and yummy.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'm gobsmacked! How in the world did you make that so perfectly round? How did you get the hexagons so perfect? How did you keep the blue from getting in the white? LOL . I took a cake dec class with my daughter when she was in junior high. I thought I'd never learn how to get the crumb coat mastered! BUt then I started having fun . Your skills are beyond good!
It was easy to get the round cake shape with this pan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...64K5A69WQBRPDC

Did you know that there are two shapes on a soccer ball? I didn't until I looked it up. The black shapes are pentagons and the white shapes are hexagons. I printed out the shapes, put clear packing tape on both sides of the paper, and cut them to the size that I wanted to get my pattern. Here is a link to the shapes:
https://ldlewis.com/How-to-Build-Pol...a-template.png

Dark frosting colors are hard to achieve without putting in so much food coloring that it gets bitter. I bought a can of the darkest chocolate frosting that I could find and added black food coloring to make it black. It didn't take much food coloring because the original frosting was so dark. The white frosting was a simple buttercream that I make for decorating my cakes.

I piped alternating circles of black and white frosting between the layers so each piece would have both colors.

I put a crumb coat on the cake and let it set up for about ten minutes so the frosting wouldn't stick to the patterns. I took the "shapes" and pressed them into the frosting to get the pattern on the cake. This was a bit tricky, but having a picture of a soccer ball to refer to was helpful.

I piped the dark frosting outlines with a round #3 tip. The black and white shapes were filled in with stars with a #16 tip. There was just enough of the black lines showing after adding the stars to make the shapes between the white hexagons defined. It's not perfect, but just like it quilting, it doesn't have to be to be effective.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I had not noticed that there were hexagons and pentagons on a soccer ball.

There is a lot more to cake decorating than I realized - thank you for the thorough explanation.

(My cake decorating skills are limited to smearing some frosting on a 9x13 cake.)
Old 09-01-2018, 06:33 AM

Awesome cake.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-01-2018 at 07:23 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-03-2018, 07:36 AM
mac

Wow! You really know how to make a book YUMMY! You have awesome cake decorating skills.

My question is how do you cut a cake shaped like that?
Old 09-03-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
My question is how do you cut a cake shaped like that?
It cuts nicely into wedges like other cakes.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:35 AM

Awesome job,,