Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Calling all    N*U*R*S*E*S    or Medical People >

Calling all N*U*R*S*E*S or Medical People

Calling all N*U*R*S*E*S or Medical People

Old 06-14-2011, 11:12 AM

Flax seed oil does help. I take 3- 1000mg a day.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM

I use liquid tears that I get at Walmart. Just a drop or two once or twice a day really helps!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Itis god to check with your eye MD. It can be caused by many thigns. Restasis helps me you ned a prec. for it. Depending on your income you can get it from the paharmaical Company if you quaikity. Some of the doctors don't tel you about this. Web site to go to is www.Needymeds.com and check on pt asiastance programs. There are also lubicating eyes dropts that help also.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 PM

I have had dry eyes due to the medications I take for MS. My eye dr. order me restatis. It is by prescription. It is used for chronic eye dryness. I have found it to create natural tears. It took a few months. I have had dry eyes for ages because I worked as a nurse in PACU .We put oxygen on all our pt. If we monitor the pt. We are delighted pt.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM

About ten years ago I went to the ophthalmologist with the same problem. He ran some tests and told me about a procedure he did that would help. He put "plugs" in my tear ducts. They stay forever. He checks them every two years and I haven't had a problem since. I have really never talked to anyone else who has had this done but I can swear by it. You might ask your doctor if he knows of this procedure.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 PM

My eyes feel at times like I have sand or dirt in them and they too are dry. Use a little baby shampoo on a warm wash cloth, fold washcloth long ways,
lay on the bed and place the warm washcloth on your closed eyelids. Let it there for a little while.
You can then gently go over the eyelashes to remove any
"stuff" that maybe on them. (I have rosacia and plugs in my
tear ducts.) When I do this, it is so relaxing. Maybe this
will help. As for drops to I use otc optive as per my ophthalmologist as needed.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sandwich child
As an eye doctor, I was going to give your some advice but after reading all the input, I think you have plenty ....
Personally, living in drrryyyy Colorado I use OTC Systane Balance.
This is what my eye doc suggested to me after my cataract surgery. They're great. Very soothing.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM

I hope you find relief soon.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 PM

My mom had a lot of eye trouble. About 3-4 times a year her eyes would get so bad they would weep a sticky sap like substance. It would splash on her glasses. MD prescribed plain old Penniless. Got better. She had standing Rx for the penicillin and would bet it filled at the first sign, Fast forward......... Different doc. Tried many "new" antibiotics. I enter bet for penicillin. Bingo cleared up.
Finally seen eye doc. I mentioned her problem. He put her on a regiment every day. Warm wash cloth, ointment on upper lid and drops. Been over 3 years no more problems!! Somewhere I have the write up of what she does. If anyone thinks they want to try it PM me and I will see if I can find it.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM

I haven't read all the responses, so maybe this was already mentioned, but maybe you're like me, the doctor called me a 'bad blinker'
I've had a traumatic brain in jury, and had some nerve damge in my face, and when I blink, I don't do it fully, so there's a ridge or line, where I don't fully blink, so it's dry. I just use eye dropes, maybe 20 times a day, or whenever I think of it.