Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
camera holder for video demos >

camera holder for video demos

camera holder for video demos

Old 04-25-2020, 10:22 AM

Default camera holder for video demos

Grandson wants to learn to quilt and has mother who can help, but he wants lessons while we are all quarantined. I could mount phone on a portable holder but would be more effective if it were on my head like a GoPro. We will be using a Zoom room chat format, so I need to use my camera. Advice please on how to go about this. I see YouTube videos all the time that seem to be from the seamstresses point of view. I could use links to places to purchase suggested items or brand names please. Thanks very much. I always get great answers here.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:27 AM

How exciting that your gs wants to learn to quilt. You must be so proud. Check at a camera shop for some thought on how to achieve what you are trying to do. I am the last person that can help with a camera. I can hardly take a picture and have to take many to get one that almost looks good. I am pretty sure there will be someone here that has tried what you are trying to achieve. Best of luck.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:43 PM

I have watched many Youtube quilting videos, but the best one I ever watched was by Mr. Domestic, he was zoomed right in on his needle from the front, it was just like I was the one sewing, I think he did it with a chest mount GoPro. Your idea of using the head mount is a good one too.Sounds like a fun thing to do with DGS, and figuring out how to make it happen. Enjoy it when it actually happens, he will remember it forever.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:45 PM

I bought an $80 Fast action video camera (aka like a GoPro) at Walmart this past summer and I am able to use the included attachments to set up a video--not sure how you could do that via a Zoom but sure there is a way. I use it to get the shot down on the needle area.

Another thought is to use what teachers call an Elmo--it's a projector camera and you can use in real time and it can adjust to any angle, height. It attaches to your computer (or a projector) and is super--can't remember how much my Guild paid for the basic one.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:13 PM

My husband has to record his drumming for the church music group he performs with. He has a tripod that he attaches his phone and records his performance. My daughter does the same, she is a teacher and records her read-aloud so the students can watch at their convenience.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 AM

You can buy desk top tripods that aren't very expensive. The legs are only about 8" long, but bendable.They might work.

Watson
Old 05-06-2020, 01:17 PM

I bought this versatile camera holder, and it couldn't work better! I put it around my neck (like in one of the photos I think) and can see what I'm doing while I'm chatting hands-free with my grandson. He sees what I'm doing as well. We are using Zoom, but the free version sessions only last 40 minutes, so we may go another route, or I could subscribe I guess. Anyway, our first session was great - I taught him what the selvedge is, talked about the cutting board and cutting ruler, and went over the inches in 1/8 yard, 1/4 yard, etc. We talked about (and I was able to show him) what happens when you're pressing against the cutting ruler too hard and not holding the ruler tight enough. His mom helped him choose his fabric, and he is now doing his "homework," cutting out 30 8-1/2" squares. Next session we'll move on to other things. I hope the quarantine is over by the time we get to putting it together and quilting, so he can come and stay for a few days. His mom didn't even want me to pay for the fabric because they think it's a great thing to take the place of his normal outside activities like dance and baseball. He's 11, a perfect age for this I think. Anyway, here's a link to the camera holder I bought. If admins don't want a link like this in a post I could take a photo of it and post that instead. Great gadget, and more sturdy and substantial than I thought it would be. Take care and stay safe everybody. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1