Camino de Santiago

Old 04-25-2015, 09:53 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It does seem like the completion of the circle. The real meaning of "serendipity"!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:34 PM

I so envious. The Santiago de Compostela is on my bucket list. Congratulations.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Congrats and enjoy the journey!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 AM

Could you have purchased what you wanted and then mailed it to yourself? Rather than trying to hand carry?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:39 AM

I walked from St. Jean Pied de Port, France to Leon, Spain, Sept/Oct last year (2014). Due to some of the stony parts of the Camino, I was tying my boots too tightly and pinched the nerves on the tops of my feet, so had to stop in Leon and come home (on reflection I like to think my stopping in Leon was prophetic--my name is Leona). Oh, the pain! Lesson learned. I plan to return in May 2016 and finish my pilgrimage into Sanitago. What an amazing, life-lifting, wonderful experience! I met wonderful people from all over the world, the churches, cathedrals, the medievel villages, the castle ruins--wow! I hope your pilgrimage was as amazing as mine. Now I have another motivation for returning to Spain, quilt shops! Since I won't have space in my pack for fabric, I'm thinking I can mail it home, that should make the value of the fabric worth more than gold. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the movie, "The Way" starring Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. I've only seen it 4 times, before and after my walk (!!). Buen Camino!!!
Old 04-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks so much for your comments. It was a truly wonderful experience. I met lots of lovely people who all had stories to tell of their reasons for making the Pilgramage. The scenery was wonderful some of the country smells not so great but there were several eucalyptus forests and they were magnificent. One of the villages we stopped at the church had a clock that played a hymn on the hour. I couldn't believe it when I heard it, it was my brother's favourite hymn which we played at his funeral.

I could have bought more fabric and posted it home but I have plenty of fabric at home already and only wanted a sample as a reminder of the trip.
I do have a copy of "the Way" which I will have to watch.

I had to retire early from my job as a teacher due to depression several years ago but I am now no longer on medications and am so much better. Six months ago I could not have made this trip. I spent a lot of time think about "finding my way" when I came back home and rebuilding my life. I have lots of plans and thank God for the many blessings I have in my life.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:47 PM

San Luis. You were much more ambitious than me I only walked the last part. I was so lucky I had no problems at all with my feet but at the end of my walking each day they were quite tender. We built in a couple of rest days during the walk so had a chance to rest our feet. As you will know many people complete the Camino over several visits so I hope you hae the opportunity to do that.

2manyhobbies. Did you do the coast to coast in the North of England? If so you would have almost passed my door.

My husband and I are going to Italy in September and making our way from Venice to the Amalfi Coast by train. Although we will walk we won't be walking the Almafi Coast .
Old 04-27-2015, 08:41 PM

What a beautiful story with a loving end. God bless you for making this walk in memory of your brother.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:55 AM

Cannyquilter, I got goose-bumps when I read about your hearing your brother's favorite hymn coming from the church clock. I want to think it was God's way of telling you your brother is at peace. My condolences for your loss. Happy to hear you are better emotionally as well. Keep walking, even if it's a short walk around your neighborhood.

I met a Spanish woman from Barcelona who told me she walks the Camino for 2 weeks every year and isn't sure when she'll reach Santiago, but will one year. That's my mindset also, I've got the rest of my life to reach Santiago and will rejoice over my Compostella!

I was freaked about avoiding blisters, and yes, some days my feet were quite tender after a day of walking, but no blisters, thank goodness.