Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Camino de Santiago

Camino de Santiago

I am in Santiago de Compostela Northern Spain having just walked the 113km from Sarrio to Santiago de Compostella to qualify for completing the Pilgramage. I was talking with a friend just before Christmas and she said she was wanting to do this. I knew this was for me immediately as my brother who was a great walker had wanted to walk this Pilgramage when he was diagnosed with cancer in 2010. His illness progressed rapidly and he was unable to do the walk. But when my friend said she was going to do it I knew it was meant to be. I do not walk any distance normally and friends and family were amazed when I said I would do it. I did find the walking hard but felt my brother with me every step of the way.

The reason I am posting this is that when I got to the town and was walking to the cathedral I passed 2 quilt shops!! Quilting is not a big pastime in Spain so that was a surprise but when I got into the town proper there were another two quilt shops as well as many wool shops and even a lace making shop. I did buy a little fabric and some handmade lace. I am travelling with hand luggage only so am restricted it what I can bring home. I intend to make a bag as a reminder of my trip. I think it is amazing at the end of this journey which was my brother's passion for me to find my own passion seems like a completion of the circle.

Glad you were able to pop in and check out the fabric and lace. You will always have something special to remember this trip.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Congratulations on completing your pilgrimage! Quilt shops on the way, BONUS!

What a walk! Congratulations!

Ive always dreamt of going on that walk. How lovely to find those quilt shops on your journey! and the lace making shop

Blog Entries
    Congrats on your achievement and great find!

Blog Entries
    what a journey! Congratulations. And you added an extra reward at the end with your findings.

A trip well worth while!!!
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I want to do that walk. Hubby and I walked across England a couple of years ago (95-100 miles) and did the Amalfi Coast last October. Finding quilt shops would have been frosting on the cake.

My brother walked the Camino last year. He was so profoundly impacted by the pilgrimage; he found it life changing. God bless you on your journey!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    It does seem like the completion of the circle. The real meaning of "serendipity"!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I so envious. The Santiago de Compostela is on my bucket list. Congratulations.

Congrats and enjoy the journey!

Could you have purchased what you wanted and then mailed it to yourself? Rather than trying to hand carry?
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    I walked from St. Jean Pied de Port, France to Leon, Spain, Sept/Oct last year (2014). Due to some of the stony parts of the Camino, I was tying my boots too tightly and pinched the nerves on the tops of my feet, so had to stop in Leon and come home (on reflection I like to think my stopping in Leon was prophetic--my name is Leona). Oh, the pain! Lesson learned. I plan to return in May 2016 and finish my pilgrimage into Sanitago. What an amazing, life-lifting, wonderful experience! I met wonderful people from all over the world, the churches, cathedrals, the medievel villages, the castle ruins--wow! I hope your pilgrimage was as amazing as mine. Now I have another motivation for returning to Spain, quilt shops! Since I won't have space in my pack for fabric, I'm thinking I can mail it home, that should make the value of the fabric worth more than gold. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the movie, "The Way" starring Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. I've only seen it 4 times, before and after my walk (!!). Buen Camino!!!

Thanks so much for your comments. It was a truly wonderful experience. I met lots of lovely people who all had stories to tell of their reasons for making the Pilgramage. The scenery was wonderful some of the country smells not so great but there were several eucalyptus forests and they were magnificent. One of the villages we stopped at the church had a clock that played a hymn on the hour. I couldn't believe it when I heard it, it was my brother's favourite hymn which we played at his funeral.

I could have bought more fabric and posted it home but I have plenty of fabric at home already and only wanted a sample as a reminder of the trip.
    I do have a copy of "the Way" which I will have to watch.

I had to retire early from my job as a teacher due to depression several years ago but I am now no longer on medications and am so much better. Six months ago I could not have made this trip. I spent a lot of time think about "finding my way" when I came back home and rebuilding my life. I have lots of plans and thank God for the many blessings I have in my life.

San Luis. You were much more ambitious than me I only walked the last part. I was so lucky I had no problems at all with my feet but at the end of my walking each day they were quite tender. We built in a couple of rest days during the walk so had a chance to rest our feet. As you will know many people complete the Camino over several visits so I hope you hae the opportunity to do that.

2manyhobbies. Did you do the coast to coast in the North of England? If so you would have almost passed my door.

My husband and I are going to Italy in September and making our way from Venice to the Amalfi Coast by train. Although we will walk we won't be walking the Almafi Coast .

What a beautiful story with a loving end. God bless you for making this walk in memory of your brother.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Cannyquilter, I got goose-bumps when I read about your hearing your brother's favorite hymn coming from the church clock. I want to think it was God's way of telling you your brother is at peace. My condolences for your loss. Happy to hear you are better emotionally as well. Keep walking, even if it's a short walk around your neighborhood.

I met a Spanish woman from Barcelona who told me she walks the Camino for 2 weeks every year and isn't sure when she'll reach Santiago, but will one year. That's my mindset also, I've got the rest of my life to reach Santiago and will rejoice over my Compostella!

I was freaked about avoiding blisters, and yes, some days my feet were quite tender after a day of walking, but no blisters, thank goodness.