Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can I Repair This?

Can I Repair This?

At a yard sale a while back, my DH bought a nylon windbreaker that he really likes except for the hood, and wants me to remove the hood and make a small stand-up collar. He wants to use it for motorcycle riding. Well, it stunk like B.O. (someone else's ) so I stuck it in the laundry. Brought it out of the washer and saw that the vinyl logo was trying to peel off. Oops! Not big areas, just edges.
    So I'm asking, do you think there is anyway I can re-attach the vinyl? Warm iron with the garment turned inside out with wax paper placed on the ironing board?
    I had already assured him that washing the jacket would not hurt it. Now I have hurt it. He hasn't seen it yet. Any ideas?

What about slipping a piece of double sided Heat & Bond between the logo & the garment and use a pressing sheet to iron it on? I'm not sure what the wax paper on the ironing board will do for you but for sure don't use the iron directly on the windbreaker. You certainly don't want to "melt" the windbreaker with the hot iron.

Power Poster
    If the logo is already peeling, I think I would try to get it all off.

If you are planning to make a "stand-up" collar instead of the hood, a curved piece for the collar will hug his neck better than a straight cut piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would try heat setting only as a last resort. If you do try heat, definitely press from the back and try to look for a fusible that will work with lower heat for a longer period of time. First I would research glues that remain flexible and work on multiple surfaces including plastics and fabric. Maybe an epoxy?

Edit: Google Loctite vinyl flexible adhesive. I think that is what I would try.
    Last edited by Prism99; 11-02-2018 at 08:52 AM.

If it were mine I would cut the hood about 4 1/2" from the seam. Fold under a half inch or so and then fold in half and then attach (by sewing) along the original seam. This would make your stand up collar.

I would avoid ironing the nylon as it is super heat sensitive and easily melted (experience counts here) and use the flexible adhesive instead to re-attach the vinyl logo. Good luck! and what hubby doesn't know can't hurt him.

Blog Entries
    Regarding the waxed paper, no, it would be parchment paper you would want for protecting the ironing board. Big difference! But I wouldn’t chance heat anyway.

osewme, it is just the edges that have come loose; not enough to be able to put Heat & Bond between the layers. And the wax paper, I was thinking, might keep the decal from sticking to the ironing board cover.

I think I'm scared to use any heat on it. I'll just show it to him. It may not matter at all.

Depending on shape of decal, can you stitch all around it ?

hmmm...husband buys stinky jacket that has a hood he doesn't like, and expects wife to fix both problems? I loved my husband dearly, but I think I would have told him to buy something he does like that doesn't need alterations and cleaning.

Have you considered a fabric glue to reattach the logo? I think it would work. Good luck.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Can you put interfacing underneath and blanket stitch around the logo? No suggestions on the refashioning of the neckline. Sounds like more trouble than I'd want to tackle to make it look "good".

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    hmmm...husband buys stinky jacket that has a hood he doesn't like, and expects wife to fix both problems? I loved my husband dearly, but I think I would have told him to buy something he does like that doesn't need alterations and cleaning.
    I resemble that remark!

GardenGnome ~ You're a sweetheart. I wish you luck with this project.

Power Poster
    Is the logo something that "matters"?

If not, I would still try to get it all off. I had bought a t-shirt with a logo - first time I washed it - in cold water - and line dried it - most of the design had come off. I peeled the rest of it off.

You might also consider using ribbing instead of a collar to replace the hood.

I agree with Quilting Grandma. I use Liquid Stitch on fabrics. Once it's dry, it's never coming off.
    Debbie

If the hood is also made of nylon, just the cut off part of the hood to 'practice' on before going to the actual jacket. This is where parchment paper would work or a good pressing cloth; again, try on the practice piece first.
    Maybe your husband liked the jacket because of the logo??