Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: keyboard keys

Blog Entries

keyboard keys

Not being a real touch-typist, I need to see the letters on my computer keyboard. Anybody know of a way to "redraw" them? Like a paint or something? Thanks!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Ahh, labels are available. Enjoy your day.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Labels yes, but they do tend to come off.

I'd consider trying a paint.

..... or purchase a new keyboard?
    ... but my own thriftyness would be to paint them, if there was nothing else wrong with the keyboard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

When I was using hand lotion a lot, my keyboard labels disappeared. Now that I rarely use the lotion, I have had no problems.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I would opt for a new keyboard. Last year I purchased one for only $9.99.

If you can pry them off, get a similar keyboard from a thrift shop and replace the keys. I save my gaming keyboards that no longer work for parts, since the ones I use are no longer made.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

How about Sharpie? They come in all colors.

I've never had that problem, and I use my keyboards a lot. I would agree with buying a new keyboard.

I usually go through about three keyboards for every computer I've had. I have one ordered for my laptop right now. The shop gave me an old stand alone usb keyboard to use in the meantime. I LOVE it! I've forgotten how easy it was to type on a real rather than flush pad.

that said I've tried all kinds of stuff, ,most recently a paint pen. wears off really fast. I can't put a paper on these as the keys are now missing entirely. Good luck!

edited to add: I've always wiped the keys with rubbing alcohol to get any skin oil off them before painting or whatever...
    Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 11-02-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    I ordered a see thru cover for my laptop to avoid getting lint, crumbs, etc in the keys. I have an HP15. the covering has the letters on the keys in fluorescent with Hebrew (I didn't need) in the lower rt corner of each key. Anyway it saves me having a lot of crude in my keyboard. I think I found someone selling them on ebay.

edited: I just remembered I ordered the stickons that I put on the keys before covering with the see thru cover. both were found on ebay.
    Last edited by Watson58; 11-03-2018 at 05:27 AM. Reason: added to

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    When I was using hand lotion a lot, my keyboard labels disappeared. Now that I rarely use the lotion, I have had no problems.
    Yep, I ruined two favorite keyboards like that before I realized what was doing it. I, too, have considered repainting the letters and am looking for the right "pen" to use.

maybe try nail polish and a fine paint brush (artist brush).
    Got-to Love those Dachshunds!!!!!

Quilters STITCH Together!!

My "L" is gone and my "n" is fading. But I don't really need the letters, I guide myself by the little bumps on the F & J...but I do need the numbers. I could never learn them by touch. My computer is so old that I will probably buy a new one. But if i needed to replace a letter I think that i would use a label and if it comes off I would use another one.

Blog Entries
    My N is gone. I didn't use this keyboard but had a lighted one I loved. The light showed through the keys. No letters to rub off!! I moved and ended up with the regular one. i have found nothing that will put the letter back to stay.

Blog Entries
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-...v_orders_first
    These are supposed to be permanent so had to chuckle when I saw the "buy it again" note! I'll let you know!

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Watson, thanks for the laugh! I turned my keyboard upside down and a ton of crumbs fell out, so I tapped in on the desk top and .... snow storm! Will have to do that more often and with a paper towel under it!

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    Not being a real touch-typist, I need to see the letters on my computer keyboard. Anybody know of a way to "redraw" them? Like a paint or something? Thanks!
    Before I had cataract surgery a couple years ago, my son-in-law found a lighted keyboard on Amazon that has worked like a charm for me. At that time, it only cost about the same as a regular keyboard. I hope you can get one.