Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can someone recommend a good face cream for dry skin?

Vir
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    I've been using Original Oil of Olay on my face for years. I'm 65 and don't have any wrinkles. Of course, I stay out of the sun, as that is very hard on your face skin. My mom used Oil of Olay and when she died at 92, she had hardly any wrinkles at all. I figure if it worked for her, it'll work for me! I use Aveeno everywhere else.
    ME TOO ! I have severe psoriatic arthritis and was taken off all medications a year ago (mild liver issue). Have been using Aveeno Baby Calming Lotion with lavender and vanilla since then. Works wonders!

olive oil. I tried coconut oil liked it, but olive oil is better for me.

Better question might be what are you washing your face with? Soap can be very drying. I have eczema and I use Aveeno products and have had great results. I have also used Equate's brand of Oil of Olay. My skin was so dry it looked like I had dandruff of the face. Look down the skin care aisle at Wal-Mart, Target or any drug store and read the labels. Anything with alcohol avoid it unless you plan on drinking it.

I'm a Ponds girl too! Mom used it and had just a few wrinkles when she passed at the age of 76.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I hate when I get down to the bottom of a container. I buy the travel containers with the snap/pop on lids and just refill when I need.

Don't forget to exfoliate. It sloughs off the surface dry skin cells which can inhibit absorption of the creams. My favorite skincare has been BeautiControl for 20 years. They offer a skincare regime for sensitive skin. They list the ingredients on their website if you are interested.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I use coconut oil for both my body, including face and hair, and I cook with it....cheap enough at Walmart

I have Eczema and I've found that Aveeno Eczema Therapy works for me. Unfortunately it is not inexpensive, however I feel that you get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get. It does come in a tube, so that is helpful.
    Last edited by Boston1954; 02-15-2016 at 02:30 PM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Extra Virgin coconut oil is the best I have found for dry skin.

Blog Entries
    I use the oil of olay body lotion and I even like the dispenser

Blog Entries
    I love this thread, and I am always trying different face creams to see what helps.

I've used Noxzema since I was a teenager. Today I'm 64 and people guess my age at least 10 years younger every time. Of course this is a face wash and not a lotion. maybe I'll check into some coconut lotion to use too.

my dermathologist suggested Eucerin, the purest and no perfumes in it........

Clinque, Cetaphile fragrant free cream, Eucerine, Olay, coconut oil and vasline are some that come to my mind. I now use Olay on the face and Cetahil cream on the body but from what you are describing you might want to give the cream a shot for the face. I would if my face is extremely dry. They also do have it in a pump bottle but then it is lotion. I bought mine at Costco along with the Olay. I found clinique great, especially if you are sensitive to scents but it is a bit pricey and Olay seems to do the same job for me.
    Anna Quilts

Our dermatologist suggested Cerave cream. It comes in a large jar and you can get it at any drugstore (no prescription needed). I got mine at CVS for $14.97
    Carmen E.

Blog Entries
    I have a pump dispenser bottle of olive oil in my bathroom. Every morning after I shower I thank God for olive oil. I use it on my face and legs. Another thing I've used is vaseline. I have a little pan that you can poach just one egg in that I can fill the bottom with hot water before I get in shower & fill the top part with vaseline. It's all liquid by the time I get ready to use it and I only have to dip my finger tip in it to get just the right amount for my face without having it 'goop' up.
    TwandasMom

Good idea about the Vaseline

Blog Entries
    I use baby oil. (I buy walmart's equate brand) I use it after I shower and I rub it all over and pat dry. I also apply a little to my face in the morning. I also use vaseline on my feet and knees before bed time. I always wear socks after apply the vaseline to my feet. This works for me.

I use a mixture of 2 parts grape seed oil and 1 part olive oil. They are both readily available in grocery stores, inexpensive and work well. I have very dry skin and have tried I don't know how many creams and lotions, including some pretty expensive ones.

The grape seed absorbs very quickly as it's a light oil, the olive is a bit heavier so the mix of the two is perfect. They are unscented, which is another plus for my face. Both of these oils have anti-inflammatory properties (so they reduce redness) and anti-bacterial (so they won't cause acne) and they make your skin nice and soft. You can mix some with sugar and make yourself a sugar scrub for your body. (dirt cheap compared to how much they charge in the stores for sugar scrubs). I'm 45 and look younger than my age. Oh! You can also make yourself a hot oil treatment for your hair with those oils too. Very versatile!

I am under going Chemo and my skin is drying out---the best I have found is CREAMY VASELINE---YES creamy Vaseline--not as greasy as regular---put some on my face last night for the first time while watching TV and about 1/2 hour later I touched my face and the 'crepe' feeling I had was gone---still feels smooth this morning---kina hard to find---got mine as Walmart where the regular is---some times in the baby section---been using in at a homemade lotion recipe I have and just decided to try it alone last night---not very expensive either--- comes in a jar or a tube

I love coconut oil. I use it on my face, hands, feet and body. It feels just a bit greasy at first but absorbs quickly.

I have very sensitive dry skin. Years ago a dermatologist told me to try Vaseline. have used it since then (40 years). People ask me what I use on my face that is nearly wrinkle free (at 86). I went to a new doctor this week and she asked me if I had had a face lift! I use real Vaseline, not a substitute. I use a small amount in the morning after I wash my face. At night I cleanse thoroughly and use a bit more. Works for me. I clean my face with Ponds at night and then wipe it with a cloth with warm water. Then the Vaseline.
    Last edited by fish92241; 02-17-2016 at 11:09 AM.
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

Blog Entries
    I want to thank everyone for the suggestions! Several I have already tried, but there are others I am going to check out for myself. Not sure whether or not to thank Jeanne S for the Bobbi Brown suggestion. I happened to be at Sephora the next day and really liked the Bobbi Brown Hydrating Cream, so I invested in a jar to use while I try out some of the less expensive options.

Blog Entries
    I stopped by The Body Shop today after going to A T & T to complain. I was going for the Aloe Vera but was talked into A Drop of Youth moisturizer and serum. The serum is difficult to use the pump lid so i hit it onto my finger. so far only used it on my cuticles! but the moisturizer is great. I put it on my face and feel a great difference. My poor skin. It's terribly dry here, so anything should help. Thanks all for the pointers!!
    p.s. I am going to walmart to look for the Vaseline cream too. interesting. I have more skin to help!

I like Mary Kay products. I have rosecea and Mary Kay is one product I can use with out breaking out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2