Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
BE CAREFUL...Don't give any information >

BE CAREFUL...Don't give any information

BE CAREFUL...Don't give any information

Old 06-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
The sad thing is that there are people who will do this.
My invalid Mother. She had some company call said they were from Social Security about Supplemental Insurance. She gave them her social security # and her bank account # after they asked how much she was already paying then lowered the premium for their product. She gave them a list of her meds and her complete address to mail forms to. A quick call to SS verified that they were not affiliated and another call to the bank to put a watch alert on her account for strange activity. Mom got a stern lecture about giving ANYONE pertinent information. Yet someone out there has all her information already!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mimito2
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
The sad thing is that there are people who will do this.
My invalid Mother. She had some company call said they were from Social Security about Supplemental Insurance. She gave them her social security # and her bank account # after they asked how much she was already paying then lowered the premium for their product. She gave them a list of her meds and her complete address to mail forms to. A quick call to SS verified that they were not affiliated and another call to the bank to put a watch alert on her account for strange activity. Mom got a stern lecture about giving ANYONE pertinent information. Yet someone out there has all her information already!
It is scary with the SS. I'm on disability, but didn't expect to get Medicare until I was 65. If SS would have called or emailed, I would have thought it was a hoax, but I got several official letters. Now if I get something I just ask them to send it in the mail because I need to look closer at it. Or I make the call first. Email is great keeping in touch, but something official like SS should be in the mail.

As for someone calling me and saying they are my grandchildren and are in jail in Mexico....they better sound like 8 and 11 yr old girls. Whose daddy by the way is a deputy sheriff....so don't think I'd fall for that one.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 PM

I hope you reported this either to the IRS--local police or FBI. Too many will fall for this scam.

Thanks for the warning as we file electronically
Old 06-19-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info
Old 06-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Way too much crud in the world today that only care about themselves.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM

We received an email this week claiming to be from the company we pay to keep an eye on our credit reports and it said our credit score had been lowered due to a problem and to contact them immediately. I telephoned the credit company direct and not the number in the email.It was a scam....our credit bureau reports were fine and no changes. If there is a way for a criminal to figure out a way to scam someone, they will and you never know what to expect next.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM

No government office will ever send you a request for info by email! It is actually against the law for them to do it, because they would violate your right to privacy if they did, since the 'net is NOT secure.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Would'nt it be nice if people had something to do besides try and rip everyone off it's so tiresome. It's hard to know what's real or not. Too bad. Sue
Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 AM

If you haven't already done so, please report the email to your state attorney general.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 AM

I saw this thread the other day and then got the email saying it's from the IRS. I was thankful to have read here first, because when I got the email from the "IRS", I put it right into spam!

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. :thumbup: