Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Be Careful When Surfing the Web........ >

Be Careful When Surfing the Web........

Be Careful When Surfing the Web........

Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 AM

Billy, did you mean to go to: 1800petmeds....that is what I use. I have learned before I click I read the website URL it will take me to and many times that alone will tell you it's not what you want. I have just about everything on my computer you mentioned and Norton even will have a green check mark on some nasty sites but immediately will catch it if I try and open the page.

How did you encrypt your keystrokes? I would really appreciate learning that one. Also the overwritten logarithms....

I also have numerous programs (sorry repetitive) to protect our computers but am unsure if I have the above named protections.

Guess I'll have to go do more research. But any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:10 AM

Okay, this is the keystoke scrambler I just downloaded:

http://download.cnet.com/KeyScramble...-10571274.html
Old 04-16-2011, 05:21 AM

Billy or anyone who has far more knowledge than I do...would you please tell me the purpose of overwriting logarithims (sp). From what I've read it takes more time to read your files? Man oh man, this computer stuff is so hard to understand sometimes. Also, I think you need a lot more computer space to do this....what am I missing here?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

i never search in google. I use yahoo. it just seems easier to find what i want there.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Banned

Yep I use Keyscrambler for the encryption of my key strokes and the Add-On I added was "Better Privacy" and I thought I got another one from Firefox but I didnt. I went into my firewall and put all of my ports on Stealth mode. If you go to Cnet.com you can find a lot of security programs that work and will have the ratings both by user and their engineers. I forget the name of the program I used for my files but it works really well, all of my files including photos are overwritten.

There is also a program my buddy loves to use that changes his IP address every 2 seconds so it confuses the server. I have it on my other laptop but not on this one. I didnt think I needed it on this computer because I use it only at my home and never take it with me anywhere. If I was using it at a Starbucks or something like that then I would hide the IP for sure.

Billy
Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Yep I use Keyscrambler for the encryption of my key strokes and the Add-On I added was "Better Privacy" and I thought I got another one from Firefox but I didnt. I went into my firewall and put all of my ports on Stealth mode. If you go to Cnet.com you can find a lot of security programs that work and will have the ratings both by user and their engineers. I forget the name of the program I used for my files but it works really well, all of my files including photos are overwritten.

There is also a program my buddy loves to use that changes his IP address every 2 seconds so it confuses the server. I have it on my other laptop but not on this one. I didnt think I needed it on this computer because I use it only at my home and never take it with me anywhere. If I was using it at a Starbucks or something like that then I would hide the IP for sure.

Billy
I love cnet for finding virus free and tried and true programs. I saw that IP changer but haven't downloaded it yet as I was worried some of the places I go would not recognize me. Course that's what you want but some sites you want them to recognize you. I will go check my firewall for the stealth mode advice. Guess I'm one of the odd ones but Firefox drove me nuts and I just went back to IE. I had so much trouble with my bookmarks and folders it just wasn't worth it to me.

Thanks so much! :-D
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
I love cnet for finding virus free and tried and true programs. I saw that IP changer but haven't downloaded it yet as I was worried some of the places I go would not recognize me. Course that's what you want but some sites you want them to recognize you. I will go check my firewall for the stealth mode advice. Guess I'm one of the odd ones but Firefox drove me nuts and I just went back to IE. I had so much trouble with my bookmarks and folders it just wasn't worth it to me.

Thanks so much! :-D
Comodo Firewall is the best!! (and its free)

Billy
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 AM

Thanks Billy, I went into my Norton 360 and the stealth ports were already blocked for me. I went through all the settings for various options with 360 and found I was really secure. Although I also have malwarebytes anti malware, super antispyware professional, pc eraser, adblock, arcsoft total backup and a few others. Fortunately all these programs work together without any problems. I did download the encrypted key scrambler and it's working fine. I am still using my 2002 computer with XP as my embroidery programs are old and won't work on the newer machines. I still use a floppy if you can believe that but do have the reader writer disc and another one for reading. My SIL added more ram for me and I am just hoping I won't have to have a customized computer made for me. I am still on the fence about the IP changer...so any further advice on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all your advice and help. :-D
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 AM

I use Cloud to back up everything - learnt that the hard way . .. .
Old 04-17-2011, 03:55 AM

Wow thanks for all the info. Scary stuff out there. :shock: