Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Be careful with your washer and dryer >

Be careful with your washer and dryer

Be careful with your washer and dryer

Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM

I started off with two and now have four (humane society, foisted on me, rescued off the street, etc.) and, of course, I wouldn't get rid of any of them now. Unfortunately, Rudy and his sister Baby Peeps (a.k.a., the Terror Twins) like to gang up on rescue kitty Missy so they wear bells on their collars -- no more sneaking up on her. Laid back Squeaky just sits on her tower and watches the drama. Gotta love 'em!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 AM

I generally keep my dryer closed. I leave the lid open on the washer so it can dry out, but I can also close the doors so the cats can't wander in there.

I also tend to check for any "extras" before starting any laundry.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Definetely a live and learn type of thing!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

That is scary!!! I am so glad that kitty is ok, and so were all of yours!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM

My hubby laughs at me because I'm so careful to close the doors on the washer and dryer. But I remember when a friend accidentally killed her beloved cat almost 40 years ago because it got into the dryer and she didn't realize. I think I'll show him this thread; bet he won't laugh at me after he reads it. :-P
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM

When I was a kid my mom started the dryer and a few minutes later heard a loud thump, thump. She opened the door and out came the cat. Poor thing, she was okay though.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM

I started the dishwasher with a cat in it. I had loaded the dishes, put the detergent in, and then the phone rang. I answered the phone and a few minutes later, without looking, I used my foot to lift the door closed. I hit the start button and as soon as the water turned on, I heard a horrible hiss. I immediately opened up the door and a very wet and angry cat came streaking out of the dishwasher shaking his legs as he ran off. Now I always look in there before I close it up. I guess he was in there licking a dish. He didn't learn his lesson, obviously, because I had to shoo him out of there a few times after that.

My husband, on the other hand, drove the two miles to our kids' school and when he was coming out, the lady at the front desk told him she saw a kitten next to his truck. He went out and found our new kitten (about four months old), sitting by his tire. The kitten had climbed up in his engine area and hitched a ride to school. My husband was stunned that the kitten lived through the two mile ride without falling out or getting caught up in the engine. He works about fifteen miles from home and takes the Interstate to work. I am pretty sure that kitten would have been killed had he not been the one to drop the kids off that day.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I always check my washer and dryer before starting them. I had a friend lose her cat in the dryer.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

My youngest cat use to climb in the dryer, while I was standing there loading it, he still will, now he is so big he couldn't get stuck in it, size makes him easy to see. Out of about 8 cats we have had over the years, he was the only one silly enough to be interested in it.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 PM

OMG - I wish I had a scanner!
I have a picture of my DAUGHTER in the dryer when she was about 2 years old. Then 30 years later, I got a picture of HER daughter climbing into the dryer when she was running from me when she was in trouble!
Carol B