Cat flea prevention

Old 05-16-2021, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

In all our years of cat/dog ownership I can tell you that some cats are more prone to fleas than others but I don't know why. I'm sure I asked the vet at one time but I don't recall.

Our two now are indoor only so we haven't had any problems with fleas.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I had five outside cats (granddaughter would find stray kittens and bring them to my house) After being fixed they hung out in husband's shop and wooded back yard. I used Revolution on each one every three months and they never had fleas or ear mites. I guess it was pricey for five cats but worth it to have misery free cats, no ear infections, and no infestation of fleas outside or god forbid inside. Revolution stops the breeding cycle of the flea so the flea population goes kaput. The last of our cats died of old age two years ago. I still miss each one.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:44 PM

Seresto collar. $61, but a $15 rebate is available and it lasts 8 months. Tried Revolution drops last year and he kept coming in loaded with ticks. Sooo disgusting. Final straw was when I found one embedded in my arm.

We used to have indoor only cats, and would prefer that was the case now, but he is miserable and destructive when kept indoors. One of our indoor cats got fleas every fall, simply by sitting near an open window. He was a very sweet boy in more ways than one, apparently!
Old 05-19-2021, 10:51 AM

I bought frontline in a pet store and it worked and was a fourth of the price.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I just went to the Revolution website and it says it is a monthly dose. If it were three months, then the price would be reasonable. Over $20 a dose at the veterinarian and it's only by prescription so I can't get it anywhere else.
They'll always tell you to use it monthly so they can sell more product. You often don't have to use it that often which is better for the pet. I don't have many flea problems. About 5 or 6 years ago, I had some fleas. I just used flea bombs in the house and that got rid of them. The cans said that it was good for one year. Five or 6 years later, no fleas. Just use as necessary. You'll know when you need to use it.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Not many flea meds work on ticks for cats. The med will be too strong for cats that will prevent the ticks. Seresto collars are very dangerous to some dog and cats, causing death.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:19 AM

I won't use a collar on any animal. I found Revolution from a Canadian pharmacy for a much better price and no prescription. I plan on using it about every six - seven weeks. I agree one a month is too often. It covers 5-15 pounds, so I didn't need to purchase different packages which helped. I also ordered Vectra C before I found the Revolution, so I will be set for a long time.
I have some Vectra D left for the dog and I will probably only purchase 3 packs when it's empty. She is nearly 15 and definitely slowing down. I won't change what works for her at this age. The cats are 6 months, 1 and 2 so I expect a longer life there.

My dogs had fleas 10 or more years ago - two years in a row. Frontline didn't work for them. I bought Cedarcide and sprayed EVERYTHING! Then I used salt and borax on every soft surface and in every crevice. Repeated it in three weeks. End of fleas!

Last edited by Irishrose2; 05-21-2021 at 10:25 AM.