cat for free because .....

Old 06-22-2011, 02:44 PM

I don't think I'd spend my time putting it together until you knew if the stains would come out. At least your cat only did a part of your washable quilt fabric -our dog decided the place to die would be in the middle of our fam rm carpet. We have now got new carpet -something we did not want to do but after 4 shampooings, and cutting a hole out of the center and placing the recliner in the middle of the room to cover that hole, we knew we'd have spend the money. PETS! you'll laugh abt it somewhere down the line.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
That yellow is a combination of the dye in the food and bile and it is a b**ch to get out! Ask me how I know. I had this happen on a completed quilt top (not quilted yet). I know you won't want to hear this but I never was able to get the stain out. I did however fade the stain considerably. I even took a chance and machine washed the unquilted top hoping to get it out. No luck. I quilted the top anyway (for practice when I first got my LA) and have yet to put the binding on it. I will try scrubbing it with oxiclean and all the usual suspects but I am not holding out much hope to get all of the stain out. You can try scrubbing and stain removers and such but you may have to resign yourself to either remaking the blocks or ripping and resewing the stained parts, or live with the stain.
Sounds like an applique opportunity
Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 PM

You know you'd be lost with out her I learned the hard way the newest little dog gets car sick
I keep a quilt in the car and it has a lot of off-white in it well I sprayed it with Shout and waited 30 minutes then washed it and it all came out -dog food has a lot of red in it-- I still have her but she now travels in a carrier
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Don't ya just love those little furry people? lol I hate it when mine leave me a present like that too
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 AM

Don't let your cat bite you. I just got home from a week in the hospital due to the tiniest bite you can hardly see. My arm is still swollen twice the size of the other one, and it's red and sore. I ended up calling EMS to get me up and to the hospital. Admittedly, it's worse for people with transplants (me) due to lowered immune system, but even so, "regular" people can be VERY sick. Heard about one guy, otherwise healthy, off work 4 months.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 AM

Try "Restoration" cleansing powder. You can order it through "The Vermont Country Store."
Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 AM

This could work I have an old red and white quilt where the white had turned yellow. We don't use the quilt just for display. I soaked it in Oxi Clean it came out so clean it looks new the white is as white as snow. Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 AM

When ur done with it wash it in liquid DREFT. The baby laundry soap. I have cats, too. My daughter has to use Dreft because os skin sensitivity. So we always have some.

It works great on all kinds of "internal presents!"
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 AM

I would rip out the soiled block, try getting the stain out. If it works you have a thumbs up, if the thumb is down, make a new block. Time is unimportant in making a quilt, peace of mind and happiness comes with the completion of a quality piece of work.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 AM

Awww poor kitty...that is hard to get out tho.