Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cat with a skin injury...can you help. >

Cat with a skin injury...can you help.

Cat with a skin injury...can you help.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 PM

How bad is the tear? How deep or big is it?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 PM

We put raw honey on my greyhounds gaping wound, it healed over wonderfully and never got infected. Raw honey is a natural antibiotic and won't hurt the cat if he licks it
Old 08-24-2011, 02:43 AM

I had a bog ol' tomcat a long time ago who was alwasy getting in fights. We would clean his wounds and then put an antibiotic crema (like Bacitracin or a generic triple antibiotic ointment) on it. He would usually lick it off if he could reach it, but our vet told us that was fine, at least the antibiotic was getting in his system. The vet told us it was ok to do this, as unless the cat needed stitches, that's all he would have most likely done. Saved us a lot of money and our cat did heal without getting any infections.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 PM

If it needs to be wrapped you can put some bandaid pads on it and wrap it with plain Scotch tape. Wrap it good. The cat can't get the tape off.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes with cats the wound heals over the top first, and is infected underneath, like an abscess. We had a cat that this happened to a few times. We learned what to look for and he had to have a drain put in and have antibiotics. I would check with another vet if yours is out of town.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Got in touch with the vet and Ace will be getting treatment this evening. Calls are out and about to get a cone to put on him so he can't lick at the wound. We will be cleaning and treating the area and closing it with surgical glue. You can use it on cats, but it dose sting alot. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Ace says Meow.

Originally Posted by MisDixie
First of Ace the cat is not in pain or in danger, that we can tell. There is no seepage or infection, but being a cat he grooms the area before he goes to sleep. He has torn a peice of flesh at the top of the left front leg. Its about 1 inch with a rounded top. I suspect he got caught on a nail while chasing whatever little creature was moving. So my question is can you use surgical glue (crazy glue) on a cat? I know that it can be used on people, I have used it my self but I don't know that it would safe for the cat.
The vet is not answering and will not be in town till September 16th.
Thanks, MisDixie
Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 PM

So glad to hear he is off to the doc!!! He is lucky to have you!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Oh, hes not off to the Doc. We will be doing the treatment ourselves. We have 1 vet that services Northern Alberta and Southern Northwest Territories. He come in about every 6 weeks. Ace will see the vet in Sept. when he's back in town.

Originally Posted by Monika
So glad to hear he is off to the doc!!! He is lucky to have you!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 PM

With my pets and the livestock I have, I have to do my own vet care. I would suggest that if the would is relatively new you bathe with and warm Betadine antiseptic wash to soften the surface of the wound and remove any scab. If you have any peroxide 3% in your medicine cupboard and an eyedropper wash out the wound, if there is any infection the peroxide will fizz white but don't worry as it doing the job. You may have to it a second time. I have treated cuts and abscess caused by barb wire on my self and also the animals.I have never had any problems. Hope this may help