Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cat testing the water

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    I had one cat, a female orange tabby, that used to cup her paw and pick up the water to drink. She didn't do it all the time, but it was funny.
    My Keegan does that....only it is with my tea that is how he steals tastes! I have a lot of tea cups with lids now

Blog Entries
    I had a female cat who would dip her paw in the water and then lick it clean. It was the way she normally would drink her water. She didn't do it until we got a 2nd cat. I think she didn't want to put her tongue in the same bowl that the the other cat used.
    Sadiemae

I believe that cats have a problem with depth perception when looking down. Besides the fact that the surface of the water is difficult to see, it's usually below the cat's head. Notice how careful cats are when they jump down. Mine will jump across the furniture rather than jump to the floor.

Puzzler

Not sure if this is true, but I read somewhere that animals prefer running/moving water to drink because in nature that is the freshest and so the safest to drink. Guess they put their paws in the water to make it move.

Blog Entries
    We had two part Norwegian forest cats and they did that with the water. The boy cat was fond of slurping water out of the tub when someone had a long soak. EEEUUWW! Dunno why they do the pat the water thing. Our new cat, Nibbs, pats the water, too.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

All our cats have done and, those who are alive and living with us now, still do this. I researched this behavior a while back. If I remember correctly it was explained that cats (the big ones our domestics are descended from) always "clear" the water, checking that it is suitable for drinking. Remember, in the wild a water source may be covered with algae or other natural debris. If the cat can "clear" the debris away and finds fresh water, it will drink. It may not be needed now that they always have access to fresh water, but they still do ii. Aren't our brains wonderful? Theirs, and ours, are primitive and sophisticated at the same time. I love my cats!
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Oh, my word!! My son's F 18 yr old long black hair, Blackie, does this!!! They had to put water in heavier bowl but you can still hear her make the bowl bounce around….. She'll just paw & paw & paw...
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Blog Entries
    I wondered about that. It really ticks off the dog because that's her bowl. The cat eats, uses the litter box, then comes and puts her litter-laden paws in the dogs water!

And yes, I enjoy all animals and learning about them.

Quote Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
    All our cats have done and, those who are alive and living with us now, still do this. I researched this behavior a while back. If I remember correctly it was explained that cats (the big ones our domestics are descended from) always "clear" the water, checking that it is suitable for drinking. Remember, in the wild a water source may be covered with algae or other natural debris. If the cat can "clear" the debris away and finds fresh water, it will drink. It may not be needed now that they always have access to fresh water, but they still do ii. Aren't our brains wonderful? Theirs, and ours, are primitive and sophisticated at the same time. I love my cats!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    we have a 1000sq ft condo. Zoey has 2 water fountains and 2 cups she drinks out of. If the fountains aren't on, she'll
    "dig" the water. she likes the movement. she does, however, cover her food when she's done. she has gotten a bit overzealous and knocked her bowl clear across the kitchen.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2