Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cat testing the water

Blog Entries

Cat testing the water

Does anyone else's furbaby do this? He's an old boy but has done it for years much to the dog's disgust. That's why there is the outside basin! He'll just paddle away and have a great time. Wonder why?

Name:  Hmm-just-about-right.gif
Views: 1671
Size:  113.1 KB
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My one dog Bridgette will do that to any bucket of water that may be outside. She doesn't do it in the house but if there's one outside she will have at and really flip the water.

My Tucker cat will do that from time to time. Especially if he sees me put an ice cube in there.
    ~Shannon~

Blog Entries
    Oh goodness, yes. My largest girl does that. She will sit and watch it forever too. I finally got a water fountain from Walmart for them. mama and her two girls. Rosie is the one who will put her paw in it or start to drink and her right paw keeps moving as if she is digging in the dirt. Her father was Norwegian Forest cat and I've read they love water. Yep, they do!! Rosie is the biggest one in the photo, closest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oh, I'll have to try that! ..... He like to lick it!
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    It's taken me 1 1/2 yrs to get my dog to drink inside!! Only if I held the bowl would she do it and she's 8 yrs old! But, yes, outside - any hose, bucket, puddle. Even now, I have a small bucket on the steps to catch rain water for her. Don't know how her previous owners "watered" her!

Kitsie

Power Poster
    My son's cat likes to pat the water as it comes out of the tub faucet. He stands on the edge of the tub and is not amused when he slips.

Blog Entries
    Most of my cats have had the "water patting" habit. I always thought it was so they could see the water, making it easier for them to know how much to lower their heads so they wouldn't get water up their nose. My remaining elderly cat always wants a *fresh* bowl of water. I think this is because the temperature of it is different from room temp, again making it easier for her to drink without getting water up her nose. But I could be wrong......

That is so cute! Cats get up to some very funny hijinks! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IoZo43bO_5o

Blog Entries
    Yes my cat splatters his water.. For # of reasons, testing the temp of water, see their reflections, and because they wash their paws to then clean their face with.. I've watch my kitten for hours before getting TV. The conclusion.. I think maybe it gives them a sexual thrill I know it sounds crazy but their pads are very scent sensitive. Watch them next time. They only do this with water not milk because it has a scent.

They are all practicing "how to fish and catch big ones".
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

We had a faucet that dripped occasionally and our cat would lay in the bathroom sink and wait for it to drip and swat it with her paw and then lick the water off. After a while she was laying in a puddle in the sink because she had the sink plugged with her body and didn't seem to care.

Blog Entries
    I have a new fur baby (same coloring) who loves the water. Iggy, my other cat does not want to get his feet wet. But Smokey splashes it, dips his head under the faucet and loves it. Iggy likes to be "watered" by me holding my hand under the running water so that he can sip from my hand. Ah, what we do for our babies.
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

My cat puts his paw in the water bowl and moves it around, sometimes tips it over. It drove me nuts so I bought a watering fountain from Amazon. Works great but I have to take apart and clean it every few days. Guess it's worth it if it keeps me from slipping in his spilled water and possibly ending up with a broken bone someday.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Mine does the same thing as nativetexan says her's do..(just the female cat)
    So funny to watch though....
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Blog Entries
    My cat Ibenez used to drop a piece of food into the water, swish it around and then retrieve and eat it. We think she may have had a raccoon gene in there somewhere. I'm sure she is still washing her food at the Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyKat View Post
    My cat puts his paw in the water bowl and moves it around, sometimes tips it over. It drove me nuts so I bought a watering fountain from Amazon. Works great but I have to take apart and clean it every few days. Guess it's worth it if it keeps me from slipping in his spilled water and possibly ending up with a broken bone someday.
    This is exactly what my cat does! I've always said he must be thinking, "If there's water, it must be spilled!" I hate the mess, but he has always been this way.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I also have to keep the water dish in a pan. Both of my cats like to play in the water. They are fascinated by water but not to bath in.
    Also have a fountain bowl but they play in that too and it is harder to keep clean.

I was told by a vet that cats stir the water so they can see it. Otherwise they don't see the top of the water and won't put their face in it. That is why the fountain works. Our cat likes to drink when the faucet is on.

I had one cat, a female orange tabby, that used to cup her paw and pick up the water to drink. She didn't do it all the time, but it was funny.

Blog Entries
    My tom cat would put his foot in the water & lick it off his paw. I could always tell when he had taken a drink by the wet paw prints on the porch.
    TwandasMom

I had a cat that laid beside puddles and watched the bubbles that come up as the frost is coming out. He would do that for hours. Very strange.

Both of my cats like to drink running water from the faucet but will also drink from a bowl. One of them also likes to put her catnip mice in the water bowl. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Blog Entries
    I got mine a fountain because Rosie would just sit there staring at the water bowl. Had to be boring as all get out, so I got the fountain. Now she stares at the moving water.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    hahaha loved the cat compulations ! Oh heck the maine coon I am fostering doesn't play like that- he acts as if its beneath him! LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast