Cats and screen porches.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:52 PM

phannie1, great pictures of your fur babies :)

Our georgie is loving the porch now. :)
Old 10-02-2011, 02:42 PM

One of my dreams when I win the Lottery is to build an indoor/outdoor kitty playland. Part would be indoors with places to climb and hide all the way up to the ceiling. Outdoor there will be kitty friendly plants, a fish pond were they could dream, places to roll in the warm sand, all the things our indoor kitties dream to do. Do a google seach and check out some of the set ups that are out there!!! $$$$$$$

Please don't think I'm saying that cats need to be outside animals. I'm not. Cats live much longer when they are kept indoors. All of mine are now indoor flea-lions, but there is still a natural urge for them to be the Kings (and Queens) of their jungles.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Our Cats stay on the screen porch all the time . They are trained to do not climb the screen.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM

A year ago last March I lost an outside cat to either a car or a coyote. So I decided to screen in the back porch when I got a new kitty. My porch only had three support posts, so my son and I bought 4x4s and 2x4s and built a frame, including a screen door. Then instead of using window screen because it can tear if the cats climb up it, I went to Home Depot and bought green flexible plastic screening that fit perfect between the 2x4s. We just stapled the plastic to the boards and they can climb it without tearing it. The older cat was not happy about being confined, but has learned to live with it. I also bought 1x8s and stapled carpet scraps to it and made them a ledge. They spend all day out there except during the hot (100+) afternoons.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265744.jpe   attachment-265745.jpe   attachment-265746.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 AM

We have 3 cats. They stay on our screened in porch. We do leave the door open so they come and go as they please. All 3 showed up at our house over the last 10 yrs as strays. This will be their first yr outside totally .... I can no longer deal with the hair, throw up, tearing up furniture and peeing. They all have beds, their own set of food dishes and everything else. They have never used liter boxes, thank goodness. Sweetie is about 10yrs, Spook is a little over a yr old and Uno is probably 3 .... they always come back.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM

wow! that is the neatest thing you have set up for your kitties :thumbup:

Originally Posted by sandybeach
A year ago last March I lost an outside cat to either a car or a coyote. So I decided to screen in the back porch when I got a new kitty. My porch only had three support posts, so my son and I bought 4x4s and 2x4s and built a frame, including a screen door. Then instead of using window screen because it can tear if the cats climb up it, I went to Home Depot and bought green flexible plastic screening that fit perfect between the 2x4s. We just stapled the plastic to the boards and they can climb it without tearing it. The older cat was not happy about being confined, but has learned to live with it. I also bought 1x8s and stapled carpet scraps to it and made them a ledge. They spend all day out there except during the hot (100+) afternoons.