Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CD going obsolete?

Power Poster

CD going obsolete?

I picked up my new Quilters Newsletter magazine with a CD sealed in the bag. I thought to myself, how long has it been since I actually put a CD in the computer? Ages and ages and I think they need to re-think their " freebies". How long has it been since you used one in a computer?

You are right it has been a long time.

Blog Entries
    Fairly recently. I have the Farmer's Wife CD for EQ and one for quilt labels that I use quite a bit.

Blog Entries
    Most of mine are downloaded and stored in cloud storage. I only have to access the part I want not the whole cd. The only time I put a cd in my computer is to send to cloud. Cloud storage is cheap if you need more then the free allowable space.
    Got fabric?

My new computer only has place for memory stick.....no place for CD and I have several on quilting I wanted to use. DH took the one from The Farmer's Wife and put it on a stick for me, works really good.

delma

I use CDs with my embroidery machine designs

Blog Entries
    i shall be very sad when CDs are no longer available.
    great for "hands on" mass backup that's less vulnerable than just hard drive.
    no need to entrust my data to a cloud.
    inexpensive, doesn't take up much room.

and ... i already have a pile of LPs i can't play.
    i'd rather not add a stack of CDs to the "useless" box.
    don't want to have to buy equipment to play mp3s.

If I came across a computer with no CD I think I would think twice about getting it. I still like to down load my CD's to itunes and have too many applications I can add to my computer.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

I have cd's for several things like Word, games, etc. There would be a lot of upset people if they eliminate them.

All my photos are stored on CD's, I mean a lot. I wish they would quit making things obsolete.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    How long has it been since you used one in a computer?
    One hour ago.
    “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."
    Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    If I came across a computer with no CD I think I would think twice about getting it. I still like to down load my CD's to itunes and have too many applications I can add to my computer.
    I just bought a MacBook Air laptop. It does not have a CD drive because that adds to the weight. It's so light I can hold it in the palm of my hand. But, you can buy a CD drive to attach if you feel the need for one.

i use CDs in my computer all the time. i am a media junkie, so i, too, have a huge collection of LPs, lots of CDs, old 45s--and am lucky enough to have the functional components to play all of them. i know that eventually the CD will probably go the way of the 8-track tape (yes, i have some of those, too), but for music listening, i don't like MP3s. there is a slight compression of sound and time that distorts them, and makes them difficult to listen to. the "stick" is great for information, but they apparently have a finite life. i lost over 20 days of music to a hard drive crash not too long ago, so i'm still a hanger-on to the stuff i can hold in my hand. i like things like liner notes, pages i can turn, books i can hold in my hand. tactile, until the end, i reckon...got to be able to "pet" whatever the project is. (i know that there are those who swear by cloud computing, but i'm just a little paranoid about having all of my information "out there", where i have even less control over my vulnerability. my music wouldn't be such a big issue, but...)
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    daughters wedding and tons of grandkids photos on CD. games and patterns. I use em and like having it there
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
    All my photos are stored on CD's, I mean a lot. I wish they would quit making things obsolete.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Blog Entries
    I just got my old time radio, looking LP player and CD recorder, Now can record my LPs to CDs. do not have a Mp3 thingie, arn't they for running and walking? sister gave me one ages ago, have NEVER used it. I'll stick with my CDs thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    i shall be very sad when CDs are no longer available.
    great for "hands on" mass backup that's less vulnerable than just hard drive.
    no need to entrust my data to a cloud.
    inexpensive, doesn't take up much room.

and ... i already have a pile of LPs i can't play.
    i'd rather not add a stack of CDs to the "useless" box.
    don't want to have to buy equipment to play mp3s.
    dare to dream

I am gradually transferring my stuff to the flash drives.....Can anyone tell me a way to store these easily in an organized manner.....labeling them, etc. I have a bunch, all different, and currently have a piece of masking tape of each with a name.....very cumbersome to go through all to find one......

My Computer 'Geek' (a college freshamn who fixes my computer) recently told me that, in the near future, computers will come without a CD tray. My tray recently ceased to function and he told me to order an external DVD burner. It will enable me to use the CD's I now have, as well as, any future ones. I am not really computer savvy and am not fond of using a flash drive because I can neve figure out to find the info on it.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a couple of Quilting Design CDs from EQ Quilt Company, so the CD is not completely dead yet! I love that I can plug it into my laptop, have it automatically load into EQ7, which is automatically also loaded into EQStitch. Then I can put a design into the EQStitch drawing board and either load it directly to my Pfaff, or I can 'play' with it before I load it.

That said, I have loaded CDs into the stick for my Pfaff Creative Vision, so I don't have to carry a bunch of CDs back & forth btw CT and AZ. Pretty handy piece of tech!

I just got my Quilters Newsletter in the mail and I don't think it had a CD in it. Did I throw it away? I don't remember seeing it.
    Let peace begin with me and you.

I went looking for new laptop last weekend and it looks like cd's drives are one the way out.

Blog Entries
    I only have a laptop and it doesn't even accept cds.
    Becky

My new Janome came with 3 instructional DVDs. They were boring, I didn't watch them all.

I have a stack of burnable DVD disks that I never use, that is what a USB stick is for.
    :-)
    CAS

We never even thought about that when we bought his new laptop, but it bothers me there is no hard backup.

Quote Originally Posted by beksclen View Post
    I only have a laptop and it doesn't even accept cds.
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I picked up my new Quilters Newsletter magazine with a CD sealed in the bag. I thought to myself, how long has it been since I actually put a CD in the computer? Ages and ages and I think they need to re-think their " freebies". How long has it been since you used one in a computer?
    Yesterday! Found a CD showing 300+ squares from the Kansas City Star archives dates from 1920's through 1936!
    Talk about fun !!!!! CD's still have their place but ... your right , for how long????

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I don't want cs to go away. I like classical music, some opera, and new age, among others. And to digitize these types of music, they have to eliminate the very high and low notes, there by ruining the music and enjoyment of it, at least for me. CDs sound just so much better than MP3. Will only be dragged into the MP3 world kicking and screaming! LOL. My niece thinks I am being old-fashioned, but the music is just not the same on MP3.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast